Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
nwillia09
New Contributor

Recipient Verification with Aliases

We have users with extra email aliases attached to their Microsoft Exchange accounts. I had LDAP authentication profile selected with Recipient Verification enabled  and discovered due to a user complaint that all of the emails destined to one of these attached aliases were automatically rejected. I changed the authentication method to SMTP and now it seems that any email to our @domain.com is accepted and everything else is rejected. I am pretty sure that this is not the work of the recipient verification feature but actually the recipient policy I have in place.

Will recipient verification work correctly with attached aliases? How do I get recipient verification working via SMTP/ESMTP?

2 Solutions
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Hmm

You have the fortimail as a server or gateway?

suggestion

Could you place a recipient rule with the alias b4  the  LDAP profile rule ( not ideal ) for temp and review the following;

http://alstechcorner.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-configure-user-alias-options-on.html

Set the above query , and when you conduct the recipient lookup  does it fail with the alias ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

Mail Settings > Domains > Advanced Settings > LDAP user alias / address mapping profile

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Hmm

You have the fortimail as a server or gateway?

suggestion

Could you place a recipient rule with the alias b4  the  LDAP profile rule ( not ideal ) for temp and review the following;

http://alstechcorner.blogspot.com/2014/06/how-to-configure-user-alias-options-on.html

Set the above query , and when you conduct the recipient lookup  does it fail with the alias ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
nwillia09

Thanks for your reply. Yes my fortimail is setup in gateway mode in a DMZ. I setup another LDAP profile using the suggested instructions. The LDAP lookup passed using the alias but the recipient verification fails and an NDR is sent. 

nwillia09

After trying several query filters I still get the same 550 error when sending an email to an alias.

I have tried:

mail

proxyAddresses=smtp:$m

(&(objectClass=Group)(proxyAddresses=smtp:$m))

subtree

never

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you  try to open a case with FTNT ?

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

Mail Settings > Domains > Advanced Settings > LDAP user alias / address mapping profile

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors