Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
robsonlupo
New Contributor

Automated Full-config backups

We would like to be able to scheduled automated full-config backups to be offloaded to an FTP server. I do not want to use fortimanager. Is there any other way?

1 Solution
Iescudero

Hello!

I have automatic Backup with a few simple steps:

1) Create a user with read only privilege in the Fortigate. ie: user backup, password: 1234

2) In a File Share (ie: D:\backup\), put PSCP.EXE  and create a BAT file with this:

set DESTINATION=D:\backup set FECHA=%date:~6,4%%date:~3,2%%date:~0,2% set LOG=D:\backup\backup.log

echo Y|pscp -P 22 -pw 1234 backup@192.168.0.1:sys_config %DESTINATION%FORTIGATE%FECHA%.conf >> %LOG%

192.168.0.1 is the IP of your Fortigate.

In the BAT file the user and password is stored in clear text, so that's why is necessary a read only user, but if you don't mind, you can use the admin user.

3) Create a schedule task in windows to execute the bat.

In addition:

Just check the SCP is enabled in your Fortigate:

config system global set admin-scp enable

end

and of course, you have to download pscp:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
NeilG
Contributor

You can backup to your free FortiCloud account if you use that - although right now you have to run the backup from an external source or run it manually (having the fortigate itself run the backup is not working).

The auto-script in 5.4 seems to be not fully baked and we have been told to wait for 5.6.

However if you are running a script from a Linux box through ssh then just look at the correct syntax based on your cli version:

http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-best-practices-54/Firmware/Performing...

… or for FTP (note that port number, username are optional depending on the FTP site)…

execute backup config ftp <backup_filename> <ftp_server> [<port>] [<user_name>] [<password>]

… or for TFTP …

execute backup config tftp <backup_filename> <tftp_servers> <password>

Is that the info you were looking for?

-N

TuncayBAS

I have prepared an application that I think will help you after a long visit. At the moment we are doing manual backups. Scheduleable backup will be added in the future. You enter Fortigate access information for all the customers you have checked in the program. The entered information is kept encrypted in the file. If you want, you can get all the devices at the same time or only one device.

Language : TR and ENG

http://www.tuncaybas.com/...a-cihazdan-yedek-alma/

Tuncay BAS RZK Muhendislik Turkey NSE 4 5 6 FCESP v5

Iescudero

Hello!

I have automatic Backup with a few simple steps:

1) Create a user with read only privilege in the Fortigate. ie: user backup, password: 1234

2) In a File Share (ie: D:\backup\), put PSCP.EXE  and create a BAT file with this:

set DESTINATION=D:\backup set FECHA=%date:~6,4%%date:~3,2%%date:~0,2% set LOG=D:\backup\backup.log

echo Y|pscp -P 22 -pw 1234 backup@192.168.0.1:sys_config %DESTINATION%FORTIGATE%FECHA%.conf >> %LOG%

192.168.0.1 is the IP of your Fortigate.

In the BAT file the user and password is stored in clear text, so that's why is necessary a read only user, but if you don't mind, you can use the admin user.

3) Create a schedule task in windows to execute the bat.

In addition:

Just check the SCP is enabled in your Fortigate:

config system global set admin-scp enable

end

and of course, you have to download pscp:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

Hope it helps!

robsonlupo

Iescudero

Thanks for the answer.

But I am a lay user to create .bat

I am using Solawinds TFTP SERVER.

Have you used this program?

Thank you.

TuncayBAS

The program I recommend is more advantageous for taking backups from multiple devices.

robsonlupo

TuncayBAS

Can I do scheduled backup Or just manual?

TuncayBAS

It's just manual now. But the timing will be added in the future.

Eduardo_Ramirez
New Contributor

looking do the same but i don´t even can make a backup to FTP now ... look my error 

syd-proxy-fw1a (global) # execute backup full-config tftp backup.txt 10.159.240.231 Please wait... Connect to tftp server 10.159.240.231 ... Transfer timed out. Send config file to tftp server via vdom root failed. Command fail. Return code -1

TuncayBAS

I write my own programs for Fortigate.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors