Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
g_rayan
New Contributor

Fortigate 200 HA conections switch ?

Hello 

I have two firewall fortigate 200 and I would like to connect them to the ports HA for the backup and the fact that they are not side by side my question is it possible to connect two firewall between a switch ?

thank you for your support

3 REPLIES 3
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, in principle.

HA traffic uses a non-standard Ethernet type ID to distinguish them from IP traffic. Nearly all switches handle that without any problems except for Cisco Nexus - they use this ID internally by coincidence.

The good news is that you can reconfigure the ID if you absolutely have to. Cf. the FortiOS Handbook, for instance in v5.2, pg. 1292 and pg. 1365.

Now to "best practice": by introducing an active component in the HA link you severely jeopardize your firewall stability. If, for any reason, the switch fails or reboots, both Fortigates will determine that they are 'master' and will act with the same IP and MAC addresses in your network. This is called a 'split-brain' scenario and it regarded as the worst case in a HA setup.

Even a simple firmware update on the switch would bring your network down.

So, "best practice" recommends

1- don't do this

2- if you have to, provide for 2 redundant HA links across 2 independent switches (or switch stacks)

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
g_rayan

hi ede

ok thank you for your precisions

Best regards

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Yeah, if you are going to do this PLEASE have multiple HA links.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors