Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
LeandroO
New Contributor

Users belonging to multiple AD groups

I have a Fortigate 90D with firmware 5.4.1. I am new to the Fortigate firewalls. My problem is the following:

I have two Active Directory groups called FacebookUsers and TwitterUsers. SSO is correctly configured.

So, I’ve set up this rules for testing purposes:

1- Allow rule, from internal interface to external, all services, all destination addresses, all source addresses and FacebookUsers group. I’ve attached a web filter profile called “Allow Facebook” with a static URL filter for the *.facebook.com wildcard domain set to allow. I’ve also assigned an SSL inspection profile.

2- Similar rule to allow Twitter with a web filter profile for the *.twitter.com wildcard domain.

3- Deny rule, from internal interface to external, all services, all destination addresses, all users, no web filter profile.

A user who belongs to the group FacebookUsers can browse the Facebook domain. But he can also browse Twitter and any other URL. Rule number 1 is applied.

A user who belongs to the group TwitterUsers can browse the Twitter domain. But he can also browse Facebook domain and any other URL. Rule number 2 is applied.

A user who does not belong to any of those groups is denied access and cannot browse any page.

The expected behavior should be that any user who belongs to the FacebookUsers group should be granted access to the Facebook page and any user who belongs to the TwitterUsers group should be allowed to access the Twitter page and any user who does not belong to any of those groups should be denied access to every page. However, a user who belongs to both groups should be allowed to access both sites.

This is just a simplified version of my real scenario which includes groups for granting access to other services such as YouTube, Streaming, Spotify and so on.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction to get the desired result?

Thank you all.

1 Solution
xinger
New Contributor III

I'll bet you won't like this answer, but FortiGates are firewalls: the rules are searched from top to bottom, and the first match ends the search meaning that no further rules are searched or processed.  To accomplish your scenario, you will need a preceding rule for an AD group such as FacebookAndTwitterUsers, followed by two subsequent rules for FacebookUsers and TwitterUsers in either order.  Unfortunately, the name of this game is permutation.  I'd love to have someone to tell me I'm wrong and that there is a better way, but that's the only to handle it that I know of.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
xinger
New Contributor III

I'll bet you won't like this answer, but FortiGates are firewalls: the rules are searched from top to bottom, and the first match ends the search meaning that no further rules are searched or processed.  To accomplish your scenario, you will need a preceding rule for an AD group such as FacebookAndTwitterUsers, followed by two subsequent rules for FacebookUsers and TwitterUsers in either order.  Unfortunately, the name of this game is permutation.  I'd love to have someone to tell me I'm wrong and that there is a better way, but that's the only to handle it that I know of.

LeandroO

That's what I thought and it was no surprise to me. I used ISA server for quite a few years and wildcard destination addresses were part of the conditions of the rule so what I wanted could be easily accomplished.

Thank you

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors