Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cjs1976
New Contributor

Fortigate 60D doesn't boot anymore.

Hi,

I have a Fortigate 60D. The device is on the factory defaults (no configuration) and is connected to a Notebook with FortiExplorer and tftp32. I can boot into the bios menu. I can format, and I can upload a new firmware over tftp. Everything works without any problems or error messages. But if the device should reboot after the new firmware was uploaded, it doesn't do anything. I tried the new 5.4.4 and a couple of older firmwares. All images have a correct md5 checksum. I don't understand the problem!? Can someone Help? Thanks, Christian.

9 REPLIES 9
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

hi,

please make a serial connection to the Console port and read why the boot process fails. It's really simple. 9600 baud, 8N1. The FExplorer thing won't help at that stage.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
cjs1976

Hi,

my problem is that I don't have such a cable. Fortinet only put the USB cable into the box. The next problem is, that I don't have any computers with an serial port (DB9).

Is there a certified RJ45 to USB cable which I can order, or is there an DB9 to USB converter which is certified?

Thanks, Christian.

Alby23

A network guy can't work without a Prolific2303 or so on.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

Problem with the USB-to-RS232 converters is that you never know if they will work with that specific device.

For that reason I've always bought notebooks with a real serial port.

That won't help you much, though. I've heard from technicians that converters from StarTech are decent (and not expensive). Best for a notebook would be an expansion card as they would supply more than 5 volts to the device.

The cable is nothing special, you can use for instance a Cisco serial cable. We call it 'null modem' cable but that might be regional :)

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
cjs1976
New Contributor

Hi,

out of a miracle I was able to get an old Cisco console cable (RJ45/DB9), and a Digitus USB-to-Serial converter. And it works! I am now able to connect to my firewall over putty.

The firewall is running. I get a login. If I do the login, I get: Test program loading(HQIP, Build1035, Aug 18 2015 01:26:54)... I did the tests with the 'diagnose hqipd start', but without testing the network. There were no errors.

So I tried again to boot into the bios, I formatted the disc, I uploaded the newest firmeware (5.4.4), I choosed it as default, everything looked fine, but firewall doesn't start normal. Only this HQIP thing.

cjs1976

Hi,

here the reboot screenshot...

localhost

I bet the flash storage is broken. We've replaced a bunch of 60 D's with flash issues.

Just create a DOA/RMATicket and describe your situation, they probably replace it.

cjs1976

Hi,

I did the 'diagnose hqipd start' test, and there are no errors. I ignored the NIC test!

At the moment I have no contract for this device. It is my testing device.

Thanks,

Christian.

rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

Scratch this I saw you already tried to format and load as default.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors