Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vanilly
New Contributor

Exclude Website from logging

Hi

I use firewall analyzer to monitor the web accesses of the employees. Now I have  far too many URLs running in the background. But has nothing to do with the actual user web access.

Can you optimize the URL logs? An agent causes a lot of web traffic in the background. Can I exclude the specific IPs from the logging?

Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Alby23
Contributor II

You could achieve this in different way.

One of them is a specific policies above the current matching one with specific destination field (destination IP for example); in this policy you could disable logging or apply a webfilter profile with allow instead of monitor.

Another (and probably more elegant) one is to use web rating override. You could specify that URL assigning it to a custom category and then you will allow that category without logging it.

vanilly
New Contributor

Thanks this sounds promising I will try the secound suggestion. Thank for your help!

xinger
New Contributor III

Another approach that we are finding useful when presenting a summary of a person's Internet usage to a manager is to exclude the "noisy" categories that manager's typically don't understand or care about.  We still log everything, but we don't present everything unless someone really needs detailed history.  For example, we do not present a summary of supposed elapsed time spent in the following categories:

[ul]
  • Search Engines and Portals
  • Information Technology
  • Finance and Banking
  • Web-based Applications
  • Web Hosting
  • Meaningless Content
  • BlockList (custom category)
  • White-List (custom category)[/ul]

Our managers' reports are now much more realistic of their staff's actual time being used on the Internet.

• Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors