Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cabrown
New Contributor

Forticlient VPN disconnects after 5 - 10 minutes

I have 4 computers using Forticlient VPN, 3 of them are working without troubles (2 acer, 1 lenovo), but I have an HP Pavilion, and everytime I connect to VPN, I lost the connection after 5 or 10 minutes.

I have to write the credentials again to come back.

Any idea of what could be happened? This is very annoyed, I cant work :(

1 Solution
heskez
New Contributor III

Is it a Windows system? Did you check the power safe settings for the network card?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SteveG
Contributor III

Assuming all four clients are using the same VPN settings on the FG then it's likely to be a setting on the HP. If you're using wifi on the HP install the latest driver, don't use the HP one but get it directly from the NIC manufacturer (ie Intel). Are you using the HP when the tunnel drops? If not it could be the power saver settings for the NIC, try disabling power saver in the NIC driver settings. Given you have a pretty good idea when the tunnel is going to drop run a continuous ping from the HP to 8.8.8.8 to check you're not loosing the internet connection. I'd also run a capture on the Fortigate the tunnel is terminating on (diag sniffer pack any 'host HP_EXTERNAL_IP') as this should give you an idea of where the traffic is dropping.

heskez
New Contributor III

Is it a Windows system? Did you check the power safe settings for the network card?

heskez
New Contributor III

Credits are for SteveG , he mentioned the power save settings earlier, I didn't notice that though: 

"If not it could be the power saver settings for the NIC, try disabling power saver in the NIC driver settings."

Nevertheless, good that's resolved now.

cabrown
New Contributor

It is windows system. I was looking for more information, and I have problem with wifi connection on my HP.

HP disconnects from WiFi suddently for seconds, and I lost my FG connection when it happens.

It seems like HP has problems with dual band wifi signal. I dont know how to fix this, but it is an issue with the laptop (actually I have 2 HP pavilion, with the same problem).

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors