Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TigerstripeNZ
New Contributor

Fortigate GRE not standing up over 3G/4G PPPoE

Fortigate 310B -- Sierra Wireless MP70 3G/4G Modem -- Internet -- Fortigate 310B

I am currently experiencing an issue where I am able to ping both sides of the network (public facing IP addresses) but unable to stand up a GRE between the two sites.

[ul]
  • If I change my bearer from the MP70 to a terrestrial ISP link, the GRE stands up.
  • I have connectivity to the internet suing the MP70
  • I am able to ping both public interfaces
  • My GRE and VPN settings are correct and proven
  • I run OSPF for auto switching of bearers
  • Diag sniffer packet shows the following output...[/ul]

2.970050 x.x.18.253 -> x.x.2.234 ip-proto-47 68,...

[ul]
  • MTU on both end Fortigates set to 1500, MSS set to 1476.
  • MTU on MP70 set to 1438
  • MP70 set up as a pass-through device[/ul]

Could this be an issue with MTU? both sites are currently set @ MTU 1500. I understand that there are additions to the packet when using GRE/IPsec and PPPoE, and MTU adjustments may need to be made.

Is there any reason why GRE would not work over a 3G/4G PPPoE link, has anyone experienced this before?

I am still working through engineering this, but if anyone has any out of the box ideas that I wouldn't think of exploring; hearing from you would be fantastic!

• 2 REPLIES 2
    Lokeshmangla
    New Contributor

Hi All.

I am trying to connect PPTP from client PC to PPTP server but can not complete connection and error code is 806.

on further throubleshooting , I found PPTP packets are getting passed but issues seems in GRE packets. 

If I bypass 1500D then I am able to connect PPTP server.

emnoc
    Esteemed Contributor III

What does a MTU path ping discovery show, at the minimum you will need to reduce the MTU by 24+8 bytes for GRE and  PPPoE.

I would start with the Path MTU and then make adjustments

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
    Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors