Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
neils
New Contributor

VPN Issues

User receiving error when trying to connect to VPN

Unable to establish the VPN connection (E=98, T70, M99, R-983070010)

User can connect to Internet once connected to Service Provider

Tested with another Modem and it connected to VPN (IT 3G Modem)

I can also connect to VPN on my laptop with Modem (IT 3G Modem) but cannot on my Home Wi-Fi. I get the same error as above.

Please advise.

10 REPLIES 10
rkulow
New Contributor

mostly this problem has to do with windows miniport driver.

here you can find a complete solution guide: http://kontech.net/forticlient-vpn-connection-getting-stuck-at-status-98/

we had solved several times problems like this by executing wan miniport repair tool.

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

seconding Rkulow's response. This has saved me a lot.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
SGalbincea
New Contributor

neils@novare.com wrote:

Unable to establish the VPN connection (E=98, T70, M99, R-983070010)

I had this same issue today on a Windows 10 machine that had had an in place upgrade to a new build. Uninstalling and re-installing the VPN client fixed the issue for me. 

STEVE GALBINCEA   |   SENIOR NETWORK ENGINEER

LEADERHOUSTON VMWARE USERS GROUP

VCP5-DCV, VSP, VTSP, VMSP, VMTSP, NIOP BEMA Information Technologies

STEVE GALBINCEA | SENIOR NETWORK ENGINEER LEADER – HOUSTON VMWARE USERS GROUP VCP5-DCV, VSP, VTSP, VMSP, VMTSP, NIOP BEMA Information Technologies
Tmason

Just an FYI

This error occurred for me after I connected my Samsung Galaxy3 via USB to Windows 10.  Appears to have corrupted the NDIS drivers.  

Rkulow's fix worked.....until I connected the Samsung again.  Time for a new phone methinks

neonbit
Valued Contributor

FYI the FortiClient 5.6 beta uses new drivers and has fixed the 98% issue for me.

AtiT
Valued Contributor

Hi, just some update.

Our customer had the same problem with forticlient after a windows update yesterday. Playing with the WAN miniport driver ended with blue screen.

Installing the FortiClient 5.6.0 beta2 fixed the issue.

AtiT

AtiT
timothyr

Tmason wrote:

Just an FYI

This error occurred for me after I connected my Samsung Galaxy3 via USB to Windows 10.  Appears to have corrupted the NDIS drivers.  

Rkulow's fix worked.....until I connected the Samsung again.  Time for a new phone methinks

I have been dealing with this behavior off and on for several versions of the Forticlient software over the last couple years and been using Samsung Galaxy/Note devices.

At this point I have determined the primary cause for this behavior is - at least in my case - the "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem" device populating to the adapter list of the "fortissl" PPPoP WAN Adapter that is configured by the client setup, breaking the existing ISDN entry in the process.

I have found that you can *temporarily* fix it by going to Programs and Features and running the Repair option on FortiClient. You can even skip the reboot at the end, but the issue will reoccur as soon as the phone is reconnected and the "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem" device repopulates to the repaired WAN adapter entry. Further repairs cannot be done without a reboot at that point.

This is also why reinstalls and new client versions seem to fix the issue as well.

If you do not otherwise need to use the "SAMSUNG Mobile USB Modem" device for any other purpose, disabling it in device manager (not deleting or uninstalling) appears to prevent re-association to the PPPoP WAN adapter and stops it from breaking the connection when connected/disconnected from the machine.

If you do need that device entry for anything else (USB tethering I'm guessing), you may need to find some other work around.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

frankielin

We also receive this error "unable to establish the vpn connection e=98" on our Win 8 / 10 

After reinstall FortiClient 5.4 latest version can be connect a few day / week

then it occur again.

Any link can download 5.6?

frankielin

Any update?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors