Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kheston
New Contributor

Forticlient Prevents Sleep in Windows 10

My laptop will not sleep or hibernate with the "FortiClient Service Scheduler" windows service running.  More specifically, the laptop starts to sleep and the screen goes dark, but the hardware never powers down.  During normal operation on my Thinkpad, the power LEDs go from solid on (indicating the laptop is powered on) to a heartbeat or slow blink indicating sleep mode.  It is this last step, the slow blink, that never happens with the FortiClient service enabled.

With the FortiClient Service Scheduler running, the power LED stays solid indicating the laptop (hardware) hasn't gone to sleep completely.  Furthermore, it is not possible to wake the computer up from this state without powering the system down fully and subsequently rebooting.  This sometimes results in a loss of work.

My current workaround is to start the FortiClient Service Scheduler only when I need to VPN into our data center and disable it otherwise.  Note that once I've enabled the service, even if I don't log into the tunnel and whether or not I stop/disable the service, the aforementioned problem/behavior occurs.

Can someone tell me how to fix this?

I'm using FortiClient version 5.4.1.0840.

3 REPLIES 3
kheston
New Contributor

It appears this is not a new issue:

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=58126

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=142777

We're losing lots of productivity time to restarts.  If anyone has solved this particular problem, please post your solution.

ipindado
New Contributor II

I've had a similar problem with a new laptop... After searching in many support sites for problems related with: windows 10 don't sleep after anniversary update, problems waking up from sleep or hibernate mode, windows 10 failed to sleep... Finally I performed a clean start up of Windows (Disabling all none microsoft services in msconfig and all start up programs on task manager) and I noticed that sleep & hibernation works fine.... Then after enabling services one by one I become to the conclussion that was FA_Scheduler forticlient service the root cause of the problem. When I configured this service in manual startup sleep & hibernation works fine, but after opening forticlient, the system didn't sleep & hibernate, with the screen in black and with a hard reset required for waking up again. I also tested with older client versions (4.2 & 4.0) with similar results... After many many tests I discovered that the problem wasn't that the computer failed to become sleep or hibernate, in my case the problem was that windows was generating a memory dump and for several minutes it didn't respond (this was the reason why I hard reset was required), and after that Windows just turned off as it's default configured for that.... So there was a memorydump in c:\windows\system and a minidump in c:\windows\minidump... This was the relevant information of memorydump.... Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information. BugCheck 9F, {3, ffff8f8ad670be40, ffffa500133758e0, ffff8f8aebf94b80} Implicit thread is now ffff8f8a`e699c7c0 Probably caused by : ndis.sys ( ndis!ndisMPauseMiniportInner+6245 ) 2: kd> !devstack 0xFFFF8F8AD670BE40 !DevObj !DrvObj !DevExt ObjectName ffff8f8add7e4050 \Driver\RasSstp ffff8f8add7e41a0 InfoMask field not found for _OBJECT_HEADER at ffff8f8add7e4020 > ffff8f8ad670be40 \Driver\PnpManager 00000000 Cannot read info offset from nt!ObpInfoMaskToOffset !DevNode ffff8f8ad670bb10 : DeviceInst is "ROOT\NET\0009" ServiceName is "RasSstp" The key was that WAN Miniport (SSTP) device driver was crashing on system sleep or hibernate. The driver of this device is from Microsoft not from Fortinet... As it's not neccesary for setting up the ssl tunnel with fortinet client I just disabled this device and the system magically sleep & hibernate again. I found the reason why only sleep fails when FA_Scheduler is running when I set up this service in MANUAL startup mode. When FA_Scheduler is in manual startup, WAN Miniport (SSTP) device is not available on the Windows device manager, you can see it as a hidden device buy it's not available and it's not in service, so Windows sleeps & hibernate right... When forticlient is launched all WAN Miniports become available (in service) and from this moment Windows won't sleep again. No matter you close forticlient again or stop FA_Scheduler services... WAN Miniports (including SSTP) keep in service and then Windows fails on sleep. I don't know if these miniports are required by Fortinet or is Windows internally who puts them in service when detects some forticlient activity... One more interesting thing is that after disabling WAN Miniport (SSTP) device and restarting Windows, a new set of WAN Miniport (XXXX) devices are created by windows (including SSTP) and the WAN Miniport (SSTP) disabled device stay as unavailable as WAN Miniport (SSTP)#2. But now Windows sleep & hibernate works fine... So it seems that for some reason WAN Miniport (SSTP) became corrupted and after reinstalling it everything worked again.... I don't know if is the same problem as described in this thread, but I had the same symptoms... So if somebody has the same problem, it's better to let the computer for several minutes without performing a hard reset and check if there are memory dump files in c:\windows\system on the next restart.
ipindado
New Contributor II

I've had a similar problem. In my case the real problem was that system was generating a memory dump for seeeeeveral minutes with the screen in black so it was frozen apparently but it was generating the memory dump.

After analyzing the memorydump in c:\windows\system\  the root problem was related with WAN Miniports (xxxx) and indirectly with FA_Scheduler which seems to be the root cause of the problem.

In my case I disabled all WAN Miniports (XXXX) and restarted Windows... After the restart new WAN Miniports (XXXX) were reinstalled and sleep & hibernate worked again.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors