Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
kidtrebor
New Contributor

Throttling Specific Services

Hi,

Recently we observed a huge bandwidth bottlenecking while a group of iPads were updated.  This was confirmed by a report produced on our FortiAnalyzer showing applications 'iTunes' and 'Apple.Services' with a huge amount of data downloaded in a short period of time.

I'd like to throttle those 'applications', to use FortiNet's nomenclature, so the same issue doesn't happen again in the future.  All traffic will be throttled regardless of source, destination or protocol.  My idea was to create a new policy and place it above all other policies, specifying the application and the throttling policy.

However.

Although the FortiAnalyzer's report identifies the traffic as belonging to an 'application', it's not possible to define this when creating a policy.  All I've got to work with are possible destinations and protocols.

In short, has anyone got experience with this and if so could they share what they did?  The way the traffic is identified and categorised is a bit confusing; especially because when one looks at all the current sessions through FortiView, it again shows 'application' as a column (with examples like 'Apple.Maps' and 'Instragram').  I would like to throttle based on this 'application' categorisation, but is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Robert

1 REPLY 1
tclark
New Contributor

You will need to define an Application Control policy and a traffic shaper. Apply the shaper to the desired Applications, then apply the Application Control Policy to the desired ipv4(6) policy.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors