Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Spartacus1988
New Contributor

Confusion over firmware upgrade path for fortigate 3240c

We are in the process of upgrading one of our fortigate, but we are not sure which is the best method. Having looked at the online link http://cookbook.fortinet.com/sysadmins-notebook/supported-upgrade-paths-fortios/5/  We are unable to determine the exact path we need to take. 

Our current Firmware is  : v5.0,build3608 (GA Patch 7)

Looking under the upgrade option on the firewall, we are presented with 

V5.4 GA Patch 1 (Build1064)

V5.2 GA Patch 9 (Build0736)

V5.2 GA patch 8 (Build0727)

V5.0 GA patch 13 (Build0322)

V5.0 GA patch 12 (Build0318)

Which option or which upgrade path shall i choose, it looks a bit confusion 

Any help will be appreciated 

3 REPLIES 3
SCSIraidGURU
Contributor

Your on 5.0 GA7.   I would be very careful upgrading to 5.4.  Backup each time.  I tried jumping multiple releases and caused issues.  You will want to read each release note about gotchas.  I would get the 5.0 GA release that is closest to GA 7 and upgrade in baby steps.   Even Fortinet techs have told me on my 800C, not to jump more than a few releases at a time.   Can you get closer than GA12?  I would make sure you have good backups of the device each time.  

neonbit

The supported upgrade path from 5.0.7 to the latest (5.4.3) would be:

5.0.9 > 5.0.11 > 5.0.14 > 5.2.10 > 5.4.3

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm with neon bit on this,  the rls clearly tell you the upgrade patch and where you can jump from. Backup the cfg file, push a fortiguard update when your all done and monitor logs, firewall policy counts,etc.....

btw: I would not put a 3240C in a prod-env on 5.4.3. We have  FGt3240C still on 5.2.9 and soon to be  5.2.10

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors