Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
David_Bower
New Contributor

FortiMail - Switching Modes

I currently have my 400c running in Gateway and I want to start filtering both incoming and outgoing emails as well as encrypting some.  After reading up on it, I think I need to switch to Transparent mode.  Is that how most people are setup?

Thanks!

Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Holy
Contributor

No you dont,

just configure your FortiMail to Relay Emails from your internal Mail Server and configure outgoing antispam, av and Content profile.

Then configure your internal Server to use FortiMail as SmartHost.

thats it

David Bower wrote:

I currently have my 400c running in Gateway and I want to start filtering both incoming and outgoing emails as well as encrypting some.  After reading up on it, I think I need to switch to Transparent mode.  Is that how most people are setup?

Thanks!

Dave

NSE 8 

NSE 1 - 7

NSE 8 NSE 1 - 7
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

To back up the point Holy made; gateway mode makes up about 85% of all FML deployments with server next followed by transparent mode.  

Transparent mode is useful when you cannot make any changes to the mail server infrastructure e.g. in a quick POC or in an ISP where you want to prevent the network being blacklisted but have no control over the senders or servers.

Everything you have mentioned is supported in gateway mode.

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors