Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jmann223
New Contributor

Reserve IP addresses over SSL VPN tunnel

Ok so here is my issue:

We have users who are connecting from home/other remote locations over the SSL VPN tunnel.

Inside Policy&Objects>Objects>Addresses there is an range named SSL_VPN that is 192.168.10.4-192.168.10.63 (any interface)

The SSL settings from VPN>SSL>Settings have the SSL_VPN object in the IP Ranges field

It doesn't matter to me which IP address is reserved, but I need to have one of those addresses reserved for a specific user.  Whenever this user connects to the SSL VPN he needs to get the same IP address.

I can see how to do this with dhcp reservations for the physical interfaces, but I cannot see how to do this for the SSL VPN connection.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

You need to create a separate IP pool to have only one IP, say 192.168.10.4(you need to adjust the original pool not to have this IP), and bind it to SSL portal config (if v5.2). This means you need to create another portal separated from the other users' and specify it in the policy.

jmann223

You are correct this is v5.2

So I have modified the original object to be 192.168.10.4-63 and created a new object for 192.168.10.3 named Remote_Laptop.

I have also created a new portal, named Remote Laptop, but its reference count is 0. I bind the address, is this a CLI only sort of thing?

Thanks for the help! 

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know how you authenticate those users but you need to have a usergroup for the single host and another for all the others if local authentication. Then one usergroup and one portal needs to be bound together under SSL Settings. You need to have two sets. That's where the portals are referred with 5.2.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Why can't you just use identity-basd fwpolicy? Who cares what the  user ipv4/v6 address is. Just ID the user and allow him/her access based on identity. Base a group for that user(s) and authenticate him locally or better yet remotely ( i.e LDAP ) and allow the fw to allow traffic base on the user-ID.

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
scerazy
New Contributor III

Yes, much more logical with id based policy for SSL VPN

Ron_Uss
New Contributor III

If you're using a radius server, you can use this feature for reserve IP address to users:

https://goo.gl/zDJSuA

In 5.4 are commands little changed...

config vpn ssl web portal

edit "PORTAL"

set ip-mode user-group

NSE8 #3111

NSE8 #3111
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I didn't mean actul "ip pool" but an address object. Sorry.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors