Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Okabe
New Contributor

Blocking external IP addresses

Dear All,

I'm new to Fortigate and new to the forum. Anyway, I have a problem configuring policies for blocking unwanted access from some external/malicious IP addresses.

Here's what I did.

config firewall policy
    edit 4
        set uuid 10be693f-5610-45a9-bebc-c27bd394177f
        set srcintf "any"
        set dstintf "any"
        set srcaddr "group-blacklist"
        set dstaddr "all"
        set schedule "always"
        set service "ALL"
        set logtraffic all
    next
end

I have put the policy on top of the list. However, when I tried accessing my FW from blocked IP address, it still can go through and no traffic were recorded to the policy log. Am I missing any steps or is there any other way? Thank you guys.

Fortigate 60D

v5.2.6,build711 (GA)

1 Solution
ede_pfau

This is not about VIPs but administrative access to the FGT, right?

You can do 2 different things:

1- only allow certain public IPs to access the FGT (white listing) - go to System>Admin>myadmin>TrustedHosts

2- create a local-in policy which uses a predefined custom address group as source address(es). Local-in policies are only managed in the CLI.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
11 REPLIES 11
Nils
Contributor II

You need to do the "set action deny".

And try to specify the source and destination-interface, that's best practice.

Okabe
New Contributor

I did set the action to deny. In my case, I want to block external IP addresses from accessing my WAN interface. How do I set the source interface and destination interface? Is there an access control list to do that or am I missing anything? Thanks.

Ian_Harrison
New Contributor

Hi

I had the same problem v5.2.6 , in the end the fix was not to set the dstaddr to all but to specify each of the VIPS.  Once I did that the external IP address was blocked and I could see the entries in the log

Hope that helps

Ian

Web: www.activatelearning.ac.uk Twitter: twitter.com/activate_learn Facebook: facebook.com/Activate-Learning
ede_pfau

This is not about VIPs but administrative access to the FGT, right?

You can do 2 different things:

1- only allow certain public IPs to access the FGT (white listing) - go to System>Admin>myadmin>TrustedHosts

2- create a local-in policy which uses a predefined custom address group as source address(es). Local-in policies are only managed in the CLI.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
CodeTron
New Contributor III

What is the best way to block an external IP trying to connect to services like IKE ?

I tried to create the following policy with no luck! : 

Incoming interface WAN1

Outgoing interface? (IPSEC_VPN or Internal, or ....?) tried both

Source IP address: is set to mach the range of IP that I want to block

Destination addres : is set to all

Service: all

Sechule: always

Action: Deny

The policy is placed at the very top

Also I tried to config the Local-In_policy as follows

Edit 1

set intf WAN1set srcaddr <Group_of_blocked_addresses>set dstaddr <All>set service <IKE>set schedule <Always>

I tried to set the action to deny but it wont accept it!

Any ideas how this is accomplished!! I came from Juniper and denying external IP's was not a project! 

Forgot to mention that I limited access to the device by setting the trusted sources to my internal IPs in the admin section to enhance the device security. 

Thank you

alexis_l

Hi,

Did you find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue i can understand what is the reason

Thank you

tanr
Valued Contributor II

@SamH, local-in policy is the way to go for blocking access to the FGT itself from specific IPs.  Are you sure the FGT didn't allow you to set action to deny? Did it give you an error?  Remember that local-in policy action is "deny" by default, so since running a show command won't display any default values it wouldn't show up.  What does "show full" give you for the local-in policy?

Also, assuming the issue is these specific IPs trying to access the FGT's wan ports, do you need to have admin access on the wan ports?  Unless you really need it, your wan interfaces should have all administrative access turned off.  And if you do need it, as ede_pfau suggested, it's best to only allow specific trusted hosts.

alexis_l
New Contributor

Since yesterday that i applied the local-in-policy as suggested it worked and for me at least the device allow me to set the action to deny with out any problems.

Thank you

CodeTron
New Contributor III

I did try the Local-in policy but it did not allow me to set the action to deny !!!

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors