Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
shmuelw
New Contributor

Wake on LAN (WON) over VPN

I'm trying to set up Wake on LAN (WOL) so that I can wake my work PC from home. I can wake my PC from within our local network, but not from my home computer. The company is not keen on setting up port forwarding to broadcast the Wake on LAN packet (magic packet) for security reasons, but they have given me SSL-VPN access to the company server. However, when I run the Wake on LAN program from home, it doesn't wake my computer. I did a search on the Internet, and apparently VPNs don't like doing broadcasts.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in the FortiGate 400D that I can configure to allow it broadcast the magic packet via VPN access?

7 REPLIES 7
Jirka1
Contributor III

Hi shmuelw did you solve this problem?

Thank Jirka

shmuelw
New Contributor

No. Do you have any ideas?

Jirka1
Contributor III

Hi, 

I used a solution from KB http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD30104

Instead of DMZ I used the SSL VPN interface. Works perfectly.

Jirka

shmuelw
New Contributor

OK, thanks.

MikePruett
Valued Contributor

Take note that you will have to have policy on the distant firewall to facilitate this. They gave you SSLVPN access but if they didn't build the policy to allow the traffic it will be no bueno.

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
shmuelw

Thanks

milan82

Can you give an example what policies should be built to facilitate this? 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors