Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
technologist36
New Contributor

Allow explicit YouTube video

Hello everyone,

I am blocking the entire YouTube access by using the video streaming category. But I want to open access to a certain YouTube content only. I though this might be easy but its not the case. I've created a static URL filtering and added the link to the content as a simple entry with Allow action but still the content is blocked. I've tried another trick is to add the link in the web rating overrides and allow the content under different category but also still no success. I figured out that the link won't open if the parent is blocked as a whole.

For example, If www.youtube.com is blocked, then www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqPZEhb1Khk will be blocked also. This is true since I allowed the parent and Voila! the content is working. However, I don't want to open the parent because this means that I am allowing the entire YouTube. What a Dilemma! I just want to explicitly open the content without allowing the parent domain and I think this is simple for Fortinet to include the solution to this dilemma in its products.

Appreciate your help.

10 REPLIES 10
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Controlling youtube content is a bit problematic unless you have Deep Inspection (full SSL inspection) enabled.  That being said -- URL filtering on the Fortigate works from a top-down (much like the firewall polices) -- create a URL filter exempt rule allowing the full Youtube URL (e.g. www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB2lhnQo8Jw) then below this rule, create a URL rule that blocks www.youtube.com.

Keep in mind that youtube uses local content servers to steam the actual video content to your browser client, so while the above may work for accessing the youtube video link, streaming may not work (especially if you have an app sensor blocking media steaming).  Alternately, you may be better off hosting a copy of the youtube video(s) locally (seek permission, use a youtube downloader, etc.).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
technologist36

Dave, thank you so much.

I did what you've said but still no luck. I created 2 static URL filtering rules with explicit youtube child content in the top and entire youtube domain in the bottom. I also tried this in the web rating overrides but it forces the youtube parent to be ordered on top even if I created it later in the game.

Something I didn't mention is that I am also using application control and youtube signature is blocked. There is unfortunately no option to configure an explicit youtube content. Just signatures to be allowed or blocked.

I don't know what to do. SSL inspection causes problems with SSL sites and I am avoiding this security feature.

AlexFeren

> I created 2 static URL filtering rules with explicit youtube child content in the top and entire youtube domain in the bottom.

I've tested Dave Hall's suggestion - it works (with deep SSL inspection).

> I am also using application control and youtube signature is blocked.

Out of curiosity, (AFAIK) YouTube content is only served by www.youtube.com, what's the point of blocking it via Application Control as well as by WebFilter?

technologist36

YouTube app installed on smartphones is only blocked by app control. When I relied only on blocking YT through web filter, I noticed YT app content is still streaming on smartphones.

As mentioned, I faced issues with SSL inspection especially when users visit SSL sites. So i disabled it.

AlexFeren

> When I relied only on blocking YT through web filter, I noticed YT app content is still streaming on smartphones.

Perhaps the App is requesting directly from [link]https://*.googlevideo.com[/link] .

mscheiber

HI 

is it possible that you can block youtube only after a specific amount of time videos where watched? Or an specific amount of bytes where transferred from a user/ip/device?

Dhruv_Modi
New Contributor

Hello Team,

I have same requirement as @technologist36 mentioned. As need to allow youtube education category only and block all other categories and contents of youtube. Tried all steps as per mentioned in trailed conversation, but no success. It will be great if anyone can suggest to do needful. Thanks in advance.

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

The YouTube Education Filter has stopped being support by Google as of July 1, 2016.  This online help guide explains more on it and steps you can take. 

https://help.fortinet.com...Education%20Filter.htm

Fincire1945
New Contributor

Hello,

I understand the dilemma you are facing in blocking access to YouTube and allowing access to certain content. Setting up such granular controls can indeed be challenging, but there may be a solution.

One approach you can try is to use a more advanced content filtering or firewall solution such as Fortinet, which offers robust features for Internet access control and content filtering. While the specific configuration may vary depending on your setup and the capabilities of your Fortinet device, there may be options to create exceptions or overrides for certain URLs or content categories.

In addition to exploring the advanced filtering options in your current setup, you can also contact Fortinet support for assistance or refer to their documentation for instructions on how to achieve your desired configuration.

When it comes to managing and accessing streaming content, companies like https://www.cogniteq.com/live-streaming offer solutions tailored to the needs of streaming, providing advanced features and support for a smooth streaming experience. Their expertise can be valuable in expanding your streaming capabilities while maintaining effective control over your content.

Hope this helps, and good luck setting up your content filtering settings!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors