Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
discoscott
New Contributor III

FortiOS 5.2 - whats the difference between a VLAN switch Mode and Hardware Switch Mode

Hi All,

I'm familiar with Hardware Switch mode on the FG200D series, however in 5.2 firmware have seen VLAN Switch mode.

What is the difference, as you can create VLAN's on a hardware switch interface too?

From the GUI there doesnt appear to be a difference, unless you can tag and untag VLANs on members in the VLAN Switch mode from the CLI ?

1 Solution
hklb

Hello,

There is 3 type of switch : - software switch : traffic is processed by CPU, but this switch is more "flexible" : you can add to this switch a VLAN interface, hardware switch or physical interface. - hardware switch : traffic is processed by asic, but you can only add physical interface - VLAN switch : it's the same as a hardware switch, but only available on 1xxD or 2xxD series. You define a VLAN for the switch, and you can define a trunk port. This trunk port can be connected to a switch to propagate the VLAN define in your VLAN switch (only the vlan define in your VLAN switch, the VLAN interface is not propagate) to your access switch, or connect to your slave firewall to be able to use the port on your slave firewall (http://cookbook.fortinet....dundant-architecture/)

Lucas

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
srappaport
New Contributor

I came here looking for an answer to the same question.

FortiOS Handbook doesn't really say what the difference is.

neonbit
Valued Contributor

I've never been able to find detailed info on this either.

My understanding of this is that the VLAN switch mode does all the switching in the CPU (ie: software switch).

The hardware switch mode does all the switching via an integrated switch fabric (ie: hardware switch) so it doesn't rely on the CPU.

srappaport

neonbit wrote:

I've never been able to find detailed info on this either.

My understanding of this is that the VLAN switch mode does all the switching in the CPU (ie: software switch).

The hardware switch mode does all the switching via an integrated switch fabric (ie: hardware switch) so it doesn't rely on the CPU.

But Software Switch is also still a separate option listed, so then the question becomes what's the difference between VLAN switch mode and software switch?

michael_briceno77

sure!!! hardware switch is less use resources.. and software switch use much resource

srappaport

michael.briceno77 wrote:

sure!!! hardware switch is less use resources.. and software switch use much resource

So are you saying that VLAN Switch Mode is exactly the same as Software Switch?

hklb

Hello,

There is 3 type of switch : - software switch : traffic is processed by CPU, but this switch is more "flexible" : you can add to this switch a VLAN interface, hardware switch or physical interface. - hardware switch : traffic is processed by asic, but you can only add physical interface - VLAN switch : it's the same as a hardware switch, but only available on 1xxD or 2xxD series. You define a VLAN for the switch, and you can define a trunk port. This trunk port can be connected to a switch to propagate the VLAN define in your VLAN switch (only the vlan define in your VLAN switch, the VLAN interface is not propagate) to your access switch, or connect to your slave firewall to be able to use the port on your slave firewall (http://cookbook.fortinet....dundant-architecture/)

Lucas

srappaport

Thank you, Lucas!

Alexis_G

Thanks Lukas!!!

--------------------------------------------

If all else fails, use the force !

-------------------------------------------- If all else fails, use the force !
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors