Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jeroen
Contributor

Backup solution FortiAuthenticator

Hello to you all.

After trying the advised method of restoring a snapshot within VMware the machine corrupted. So the question is easy is there another method of making a backup of the FortiAuthenticator config. Because there is no simple CLI command for doing so or I missed it.

Thanks I advance.

2 Solutions
Carl_Windsor_FTNT

Where did you read that taking a snapshot is the correct way of backing up?  This is not correct and I will have that amended.  The correct method to back up the config is via the GUI:  

[ul]
  • Manual:  Dashboard > System Configuration > Backup
  • Automated:  System > Administration > Config Auto-backup[/ul]

• Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

View solution in original post

Carl_Windsor_FTNT

I should also have mentioned, taking a snapshot of a running system is not supported (this is mentioned int he admin guide).  If you are going to use snapshots, the system should be shutdown before taking the snapshot.

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
    Carl_Windsor_FTNT

Where did you read that taking a snapshot is the correct way of backing up?  This is not correct and I will have that amended.  The correct method to back up the config is via the GUI:  

[ul]
  • Manual:  Dashboard > System Configuration > Backup
  • Automated:  System > Administration > Config Auto-backup[/ul]

• Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

slashdes

Hi. What about replication by HyperV ? Will it keep consistency ?

Carl_Windsor_FTNT

I should also have mentioned, taking a snapshot of a running system is not supported (this is mentioned int he admin guide).  If you are going to use snapshots, the system should be shutdown before taking the snapshot.

Dr. Carl Windsor Field Chief Technology Officer Fortinet

Jeroen
    Contributor

Thanks for your response. Is there a CLI command to make a plain text backup of the config?

xsilver_FTNT
    Staff
    Staff

There is no simple CLI command to take a backup in plain-text format, intentionally, as in contrary to FortiOS the configuration on FortiAuthenticator is stored as a database structures.

Tomas Stribrny - NASDAQ:FTNT - Fortinet stuff - TAC Staff Engineer

vvdbroek
    New Contributor

On page 20:

In VM environments, it is recommended that you use the VMware Snapshot utility to backup the VM instance

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/974/FortiAuthenticator-VM-VMware-Install-Guide.pdf

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors