Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
aseques
New Contributor

Multiple IPs in health check?

Hello, after reading this, and looking into the gui, it seems that fortigate only supports monitoring to a single IP. This is quite inconvenient because it can be affected for temporary provider issues, rate limitting, monitored ips that change (i.e a public dns server that stops accepting pings).

Are there any plans to change this? Or is there any workaround so I can have a more stable verification?

1 Solution
ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

In FortiOS v5.2 this has been moved to

config system link-monitor
You can specify multiple server addresses to enhance reliability:
    edit "one"
        set server "8.8.8.8" "8.8.4.4" "1.2.3.4" "5.6.7.8"
        set status disable
    next
end

Same applies to FortiOS v5.0:

config router gwdetect
    edit 1
    next
end

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
5 REPLIES 5
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

I would check the CLI reference guide to see if there are more options available; usually the GUI is limited in what options you can configure from it.  Going on your posted link, it seems you are after ldb-monitor.

But from your description it sound more like you are after Dead Gateway Detection

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
aseques

Sorry I forgot to reply, in fact I am after DPD, thanks to your pointers I checked a bit more and it seems it's not possible to use more than one ip address in the checks, we end up using fortinet public ping servers (or google's 8.8.8.8).

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

In FortiOS v5.2 this has been moved to

You can specify multiple server addresses to enhance reliability:
    edit "one"
        set status disable
    next
end

Same applies to FortiOS v5.0:

config router gwdetect
    edit 1
    next
end

Ede

aseques

Oh, you nailed it, it seems that the docs are not specific enough (extracted from here) and only mention 'addresses' but on the format it states that you should put server <ipv4_addr_str>

server <ipv4_addr_str> Enter th IP addresses of the servers to be monitored. No default

Thank you so much!

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm happy I could help. Good question.

When I once configured DGD with only one ping server it caused a WAN line failure just because they took the server down for maintenance...and I had no clue why the internet access was broken. Not nice.

Now, the only other trouble with DWD is that it tears down static routes, as it should, but not policy routes. That is, as far as I know and the docs tell me. Traffic would still be diverted to an interface which is proven without connectivity, and backup routes will not apply here.

Ede

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors