Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
theG
New Contributor III

URL Based Routing??

Hey Guys,

Is there a way to do URL based routing on the FGT? FortiOS v5....

We have two ISP lines and would like traffic to certain websites to only go via the one line.

Thanks in advance!

theG

11 REPLIES 11
GusTech
Contributor II

theG wrote:

Hey Guys,

Is there a way to do URL based routing on the FGT? FortiOS v5....

We have two ISP lines and would like traffic to certain websites to only go via the one line.

Thanks in advance!

theG

You can use Policy routes

Fortigate <3

Fortigate <3
theG
New Contributor III

BrUz wrote:

You can use Policy routes

Hi BrUz,

Policy routes only allows me to add destination IP's...or am I missing something? I need to be able to use the URL instead....?

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

theG wrote:

Policy routes only allows me to add destination IP's...or am I missing something? I need to be able to use the URL instead....?

Static or Policy routing is likely the closest thing to crafting something close to what you want, though you'll have to convert the FQDN of those urls into their IP address equivalent.

If you are adamant about a possible "work-around" solution, maybe designate a TCP port outside the normal standard range, say something like 65480 and 65443, set a policy route that routes that traffic out the desired port, then create a VIP (inside->WAN) that "converts" those ports back into the normal expect ports.  So in theory, accessing http://www.google.com:85480 should be directed out the correct WAN port on port 80.  Very hackish. lol.

Note I haven't tried the above and don't even know if it will work. 

Personally, if the original purpose of the request is to access certain websites on the faster WAN connection, you may be better off just setting up ECMP Load Balancing (weighted Load Balance) favouring the faster connection.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Dirty_Wizard_FTNT

Yes, URL-based routing exists.

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD36819

In my testing step 6 is not required, I am unsure of the need for that. 

theG

awesome :) will def give this a look for future setups.

Thanks Dirty_Wizard!

Myth
New Contributor III

boneyard
Valued Contributor

never tried, feels pretty hacky and i wonder about this line

Defined URL needs to be unique and non-existing on the real server otherwise users will be served by replacement block message.

that feels, like it is still only hostname routing and translating to IP, which you can do with policy routes and FQDN addresses

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW: There's not such thing as URL based routing. A URL has to be resolved and then routed at a layer3 address by a layer3 device ( router/firewall )

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
arshadm
New Contributor

1. Create a FQDN object for the URL

2. Create a policy using the previously created FQDN and choose the required WAN interface.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors