Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jwalker55
New Contributor

FortiClient - Web Security - All sites show as "unrated" category.

Installed FortiClient to see if the standalone web filtering would work for a few of our mobile users; however, despite having categories enabled, it seems to lump all websites into the "unrated" category.  I can block every category available except unrated and have access to the entire web...until I block the unrated category, then I only have access to my exceptions list.  What am I doing wrong?  Is this by design on the free version?

If I click wrong category (after i've added fortinet.net to exceptions), it goes to a page on fortinet.net which displays the proper category.

1 Solution
Chris_Lin_FTNT

FortiClient needs to access Fortinet service to get URL ratings (probably fgd1.fortigate.com).

Is there anything special in your DNS or network?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Chris_Lin_FTNT

FortiClient needs to access Fortinet service to get URL ratings (probably fgd1.fortigate.com).

Is there anything special in your DNS or network?

boozely25

How did you fix this issue? i am having it with version 6.0  but did not have it with version  5.6.

jwalker55

boozely25 wrote:

How did you fix this issue? i am having it with version 6.0  but did not have it with version  5.6.

The problem for us was that the network that the machines were connected to when we were initially installing and setting up Forticlient was web filtered at our main firewall, which was blocking the service/url that Forticlient calls to retrieve the URL categorization/rating information. We didn't have the problem when the machines were deployed out in the field as they would then be connected to unfiltered networks.

jwalker55
New Contributor

Yes, this was the cause.  Working now.  Thanks!

danni88
New Contributor

FortiClient's Web Security displaying all sites as 'unrated' emphasizes the need for timely database updates. Ensuring accurate categorization enhances user safety by providing clearer insights into website content and potential risks.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors