Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
jfcelda
New Contributor

FortiManager: multiple global policy or policy package possible?

Hello,

I have to deploy a fortimanager and i want to know if it's possible to have multiple global policy or policy package on one device. Several devices ( fortigate) have a lot of policies in common, and I need 2 or 3 Global policies.

Thanks,

JF

1 Solution
chall_FTNT

Jad,

When a policy package is installed, the FortiManager's task is to ensure that the resulting policies on FortiGate exactly match what is outlined in that package.  In other words, packages are not additive.

It is dangerous to have a FortiGate as an installation target for more than 1 policy package at a time because of the potential for human error in installing the wrong policy package (though FortiManager does give a warning if an admin user tries to push a policy package different than the one previously pushed).

It is for this reason that the FortiManager Best Practices Guide states:

"Each managed device should only have one policy package associated with it. This will help to ensure that the wrong policy package is not mistakingly installed to a FortiGate."

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
scao_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi, JF:

For FMG policy package, we have "install on" function for each policy, you can enable this column display in column right click menu list and then after "install on" displayed in policy page, right click, you can add a target device (from package installation target) for that specific policy, then that policy will be only installed for that device. By default, policy is installed to all package installation target devices.

Hope this can help for your case

Thanks

Simon

jfcelda
New Contributor

Thank you,

It helps me.

JF

Jad
New Contributor

Hello,

I have the same issue, but in an other way.

I have multiple Fortigates, and one of them is listed on multiple Installation Target liste on multiple Policy package that are present in the FMG.

I would to know what is the order of these policies in that destination fortigate ?

How to determine the order from multiple policy package on th FMG to the same fortigate ?

Thanks & regards.

chall_FTNT

Jad,

When a policy package is installed, the FortiManager's task is to ensure that the resulting policies on FortiGate exactly match what is outlined in that package.  In other words, packages are not additive.

It is dangerous to have a FortiGate as an installation target for more than 1 policy package at a time because of the potential for human error in installing the wrong policy package (though FortiManager does give a warning if an admin user tries to push a policy package different than the one previously pushed).

It is for this reason that the FortiManager Best Practices Guide states:

"Each managed device should only have one policy package associated with it. This will help to ensure that the wrong policy package is not mistakingly installed to a FortiGate."

Chris Hall
Fortinet Technical Support
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors