Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Centrocito
New Contributor

Tried everything. AC340U USB LTE

Hello community

I have been trying to setup my AC340U dongle in a 60D router with no success. The dongle is currently supported on the official list.

# diagnose sys modem detect Can not read modem device: timeout modem is attached. dialtone is not detected.

I believe I have found the problem.. There is no dial tone to the dongle.

If I try do dial to the modem this is what I get:

modemd: run_state_machine state 6(stopped) modemd: modem state changed: 6(stopped) -> 0(uninit) modemd: redails:1 isp:0 dev:/dev/ttyusb0 tel:7875856666 modemd: run_state_machine state 0(uninit) modemd: modem state changed: 0(uninit) -> 1(inactive) modemd: Launch modem due to auto-dial. modemd: Begin dialing: redials left = 1 modemd: dev=/dev/ttyusb0 tel=7875856666 modemd: modem state changed: 1(inactive) -> 2(dialing) chat: abort on (BUSY) chat: abort on (NO DIAL TONE) chat: abort on (NO DIALTONE) chat: abort on (NO ANSWER) chat: abort on (ERROR) chat: send (atz^M) chat: expect (OK) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing) modemd: run_state_machine state 2(dialing)

# diag sys modem   The modem state is 6, poll rate is 180000.   The modem is not active.       # diag sys modem external   External modem vendor: Sierra   External modem vendor id: 1199   External modem model : AC340U   External modem product id: 9051  

Any help will be greatly appreciated 

1 Solution
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

In our case, we tried the same modem for AT&T and got some help from the TAC then configured wireless-port 3. I'm assuming your carrier is also AT&T because the phone number is the same "*99#", which I believe is depending on the carrier.

Also we get a static IP from AT&T. So we always need to set a specific APN provided by AT&T offline (with a PC). I think that's not something it can be configured from FortiGate/FortiWiFi side. If somebody knows how, please let me know.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Centrocito
New Contributor

I found the solution the phone number was wrong it is *99#..

the port number was wrong it is 2

and finally I had to configure the APN manually

Fortinet still need some improvement... 

Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

In our case, we tried the same modem for AT&T and got some help from the TAC then configured wireless-port 3. I'm assuming your carrier is also AT&T because the phone number is the same "*99#", which I believe is depending on the carrier.

Also we get a static IP from AT&T. So we always need to set a specific APN provided by AT&T offline (with a PC). I think that's not something it can be configured from FortiGate/FortiWiFi side. If somebody knows how, please let me know.

Centrocito

toshiesumi wrote:

Do you need help configuration the APN??

the command is 

#config sys modem

#set extra-init1 "at+cgdcont=1,\"ip\",\"broadband\""

ATT use different APN's, the one that worked for me is broadband as shown 

I am going to ask for a static IP to the technical support.. the sellers told me that it wasn't possible..

Toshi_Esumi

Thank you for the info. I'll try it when we get a new business account was set up for us at AT&T. The last one was actually from our customer (account) who asked us to set up fail-over via 4G.

I'm afraid that a static IP is possible only for business accounts. Tech support wouldn't be able to change from dynamic to static but the account manager does. Then, of course, I needed to call in the Tech Support to fix it on their end because it didn't work at the first time. I had to be transferred, or the tech who took my call needed to talk to another group, to get the static IP work.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

What I found with  using  3g-usb-modems, you have to use ole school AT cmds. Try installing the model on a window or linux hos and dial the number manually and look at the  response and status.

So in your case atd *99#

You can diagnose alot of the pending issues and determine the right init strings, response and determine if the  static or dynamic address works.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Cynic_76
New Contributor

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

I'm pretty much on the same boat.  We have a FortiGate 60D running firmware 5.2.2, build642 and AT&T Beams (Sierra AC340U) that we would like to use as a failover connection.  I have *99# with the "broadband" APN added in the CLI... but no luck.  It just keeps indicating that it's "connecting" but won't.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors