Author
Kevin Noble
Bronze Member
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/22 03:59:16 (permalink)

Used Fortigate Still Registered with Previous Owner

I bought a used Fortigate off of Ebay.  It is still registered wih the previous owner, who may not even be reachable now.  Is there a way to have the device registration removed from the previous name and transferred to myself?  What do I need to do to prove I now own the device with the serail number? 

3 Replies Related Threads

Dave Hall
    Expert Member
    • Total Posts : 1542
    • Scores: 167
    Re: Used Fortigate Still Registered with Previous Owner 2014/11/22 06:44:35 (permalink)
    See this tread.

Under ideal circumstances, the previous owner should have created a sub account under his own on the support site and given management access to the Fortigate he sold you.  That said, you could try registering your own fortinet support account and open a ticket to see if they transfer the device to your own account.  They will want more than just a serial number as proof of ownership though (e.g. PO or document proving transfer of ownership). 

If the subscription on the Fortigate is still good, it should show the email address that was used to register it (fgt has to be connected to the Internet), which I assume is a still valid email address that you can send email to.  You could try contacting the previous owner that way. 

Attached Image(s)

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/5.4/6.0 (FWF40C/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E)/ FAP220B/221C
    Admin_FTNT
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Scores: 4
    Re: Used Fortigate Still Registered with Previous Owner 2019/11/13 00:37:07 (permalink)
    Fortinet support is only available for products which have been purchased directly from Fortinet authorized channels.  Products not purchased from Fortinet authorized channels are not eligible, and cannot be supported

This includes:
    • Used products purchased through any second hand marketplace (including online stores and auction sites).
    • New products purchased through any marketplace (including online stores and auction sites) where the seller is not an authorized Fortinet partner.
    For more information please refer to the Fortinet Legal page.
    emnoc
    Expert Member
    • Total Posts : 5389
    • Scores: 353
    Re: Used Fortigate Still Registered with Previous Owner 2019/11/13 01:03:20 (permalink)
    In the past you could contact support and change the registration. 

https://kb.fortinet.com/kb/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=FD36125

If you acquire a existing organization assets you can easily  have a transfer done and your sales or partner team would help in that area.

Ken Felix

PCNSE 
    NSE 
    StrongSwan  
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5