Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Mark239
New Contributor

Unnumbered IP against WAN interface

Hi

Has anyone ever got this to work?

British Telecom (for example) offer a static IP service which works by assigning a dynamic link address to the PPP endpoint (The firewall in this case) and then the exchange equipment routes the blocks of static IP addresses to this device based on their dynamic link address.

On a cisco device, all you have to do is unnumber one of these static addresses against the dialer interface and you can assign a static to the firewall/appliance. 

This never seems to work in FortiOS - the system seems to ignore the unnumbered address, amd I always have to use DDNS to enable the use of SSL VPN etc. Is this expected behaviour ?

FCNSA FCNSP
FCNSA FCNSP
13 REPLIES 13
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If this is PPPoE,  than yes the fortigate can work with most carriers. During  the ppp and during the ipcp portion, it will negotiate the address with the ppp-server.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Mark239
New Contributor

Hi

I'm aware of that, I've set it up in this manner many times.

My point is - the unnumbered IP, if set under the WAN interface, is always ignored by the system.

It works on any cisco device when unnumbered against the dialer interface, but not on the fortinet.

FCNSA FCNSP
FCNSA FCNSP
Mark239
New Contributor

I want to recreate this: (Vlan 1 has one of the assigned statics)

interface Dialer1  ip unnumbered vlan1  encapsulation ppp  dialer pool 1  dialer-group 1  ppp authentication chap pap callin  ppp chap hostname BROADBAND USERNAME  ppp chap password BROADBAND PASSWORD  ppp pap sent-username BROADBAND USERNAMEm password BROADBAND PASSWORD

FCNSA FCNSP
FCNSA FCNSP
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Not sure what you men ignored, but did you remove all policies or other bindings under wan1?  PPPoE is straight forward but if you re reconfiguration from a mode other-than pppoe, than  you need to police any dependencies checks.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Paul_Dean
Contributor

I worked around this by selecting one of the IPs in the subnet as a management IP and creating VIPs from the wan1 interface to another FortiGate interface.

That way I don't care if the dynamic wan1 address changes as the requests are always routed to the management IP.

I'm not sure why BT do it this way. Other ISPs we use either assign a static IP or bridge the subnet on both sides of the router.

NSE4
NSE4
norouzi
Contributor

Dear Mark

If you have public static IP address and you configure FortiGate in PPPoE mode, Then your device is accessible from the internet directly.

So you can implement VPN SSL. Why you need to configure DDNS if IP address is static?

Mark239

That's not how it works when you buy a block of ips from the likes of British telecom. They route the static addresses to the dynamic link address that is assigned every time the device reboots.
FCNSA FCNSP
FCNSA FCNSP
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Will I know the question is not to me, but that's exactly what I do. Configured dyndns and then i can care less if the  ISP  give me a new address.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
norouzi
Contributor

Mark, You mean that in this case your Virtual IP addresses can not work? Did you check it?

or maybe you want to uses public IP addresses in local network?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors