Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
vibrant
New Contributor II

Retrieve Client IP on web server behind Fortigate 90D, FortiOS v5.2.0,build0589

Hi,

Is there a way to get the real client IP behind the Fortigate Device, by adding the add x-forwarded header? I can see it is possible using FortiWeb, but not using Fortigate in the documentation.

Vinodh

1 Solution
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

None of the fgt devices we manage have web servers behind them, so not familiar any of those load-balancing options -- I was going to just post the same info Ede just posted, but figure I'll include the source material (on load-balancing) in case you need to do more than just enabling that one option...which btw is done via CLI to the VIP itself (not on a VIP group).  If you haven't set up anything fancy -- just port-forwarding to a single web server, you might be able to get away with disabling NAT on the firewall policy where you have the VIP set (WAN->web server).  Perhaps someone else can chime in here with a better solution.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

View solution in original post

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
10 REPLIES 10
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

See page 22 of the Load Balancing Handbook.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

This is a CLI command only option:

config firewall vip
   edit <name_str>
      set http-ip-header {enable | disable}

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
vibrant
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thank you guys for replying. Do I need to enable load balancing on a particular Virtual IP groupto get this option enabled? When I try to edit the Virtual IP group, I am not getting the option 'http-ip-header'.

ede_pfau wrote:

This is a CLI command only option:

config firewall vip
   edit <name_str>

Vinodh

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

None of the fgt devices we manage have web servers behind them, so not familiar any of those load-balancing options -- I was going to just post the same info Ede just posted, but figure I'll include the source material (on load-balancing) in case you need to do more than just enabling that one option...which btw is done via CLI to the VIP itself (not on a VIP group).  If you haven't set up anything fancy -- just port-forwarding to a single web server, you might be able to get away with disabling NAT on the firewall policy where you have the VIP set (WAN->web server).  Perhaps someone else can chime in here with a better solution.

vibrant
New Contributor II

Hi Dave,

Yes, There is nothing fancy, and just as you had mentioned, I am just port forwarding the IP to a single webserver. I realized I had to disable NAT, but decided to see if there was a better solution. Thanks for your help!

Vinodh

Dave Hall wrote:

Marcin
New Contributor

[size="4"]I would like to ask a similar thing as in the subject. I have a linux server on the network and would like to be able to see from what public addresses were trying to log in to SSH on port 22. All these addresses are present in the address of the router and I am interested in seeing the real a adresses how can this be done?[/size]

scerazy
New Contributor III

is NOT an available option!

Seb

sarahP
New Contributor

Hello

I am new with FortiGate.I have the same problem with AWS FortiGate 5.6.3 Mode NAT. I put our web servers behind FortiGate and now web server just show FortiGate IP as client IP on log.

Do you have any advise or experience for this?

Thanks

mhe
Contributor II

Disable NAT on the Policy WAN -> Webserver

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors