Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Marco_Broker
New Contributor

limit bandwidth for youtube and monitor traffic

Hi All, I have a fortigate 90D box. I have an 8MB adsl line for internet access. I want to limit bandwidth for youtube to 1 MB. Also I want to show/prove to my customer that only 1 MB is actually being for youtube. The customer is insisting on this. Firmware Version: V5.0,build0252(GA Patch 5) Please advise how this can be done. Thanks
Network Technician
Network Technician
5 REPLIES 5
Hamir_Campos
New Contributor

Hi you have to configure an application control and enable traffic shape. http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/50/index.html#page/FortiOS%205.0%20Help/app_control_chapter.156.22.html
Marco_Broker
New Contributor

Hi Brother , How can i check after the configuration. when i check in traffic shaper monitoring it display no data Thank,
Network Technician
Network Technician
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Hi Marco. Just to confirm you are looking at the correct chart -- not the dropped packets one? The link posted does not provided the full picture for setting up traffic shaping. You need to (1) first set up/define a traffic shaper or use an existing one, (2) create a new app sensor or add an entry for an existing app sensor -- the new entry will be for Google/media. Set the (reverse) traffic shaper to what you created in step (1) above, (3) apply this app sensor to your existing firewall rule for HTTP/HTTPS traffic. This information is pretty much covered in the Traffic Shaping handbook. Because youtube uses various local content providers for video streaming, traffic shaping may not work well or not at all. Also the fgt may need to be able to perform deep or SSL packet inspection in order to determine if youtube is being accessed (via HTTPS).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Marco_Broker
New Contributor

Hi Dave , Thank for your help . I have followed you steps . It work . BR, Marco Broker
Network Technician
Network Technician
hankamnurhamdy

Hallo Mr. Dave

I am tryna limit bandwidth for youtube. I am using v6.0.8 firmware.

How to solve that problem by using CLI ? that's different from the old version.

thanks fellas

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors