Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Catalin_Patrascu
New Contributor

What happend when licence expired

Hello! Last year we buy FG100D with 1 year subscription. Today the licence expired and computer under web contend filter policy cannot acces some website, displaying the message that Licence is Expired. If I do not buy subscription can not use the web filter function? Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12
Jan_Scholten
Contributor

You can' t use Webfilter and so on and you don' t get newer AV/IPS Signatures (But the old one keep working).
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

let provide more details . All fortiguard service will cease to update and things like webfilter and categories will NOT work 100% correctly. If my memory serve me right of you enable webfilter and category on an " unlicensed" fortigate you will get a warning of traffic being potentially blocked if you select categories The IPS will continue to function with the last installed IPS-DB. You can always manually update the IPS-signature DB if you had access & the same for AV, but that would not be un-ethical. With both IPS and url-filtering, you can write custom rules and apply those and have limited protection. Email AS rating will also not work. So back to your problem, you probably have a webfilter policy in placed. You will need to remove ALL webfiltering from any security profile or if you have any custom url filtering, you just uncheck the category box. btw: I manage a private 1st grade school like that, they have a few FGT models with no licensing but only need access to a few education website. So we listed all URL for access in our custom filter.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
sw2090
Honored Contributor

In Fact if your License is no longer valid the webfilter will still function but will block everything until it is either removed from the policy (like said below - utm profile) or gets a valid license und has afterwards successfully retreaved the license state from Fortinet.

I cannot say anything about the other UTM Filters since I'm not using them here atm.

If your support license is no longer valid you won't get anymore support from TAC but it will not affect your Hardware.

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
nicky_aditera

Hi all

regarding the expired license, let say if my license already expired since 6 months ago and if I want to renew it now, will the expired date of the license following the date that i renew the license or still following the actual expired date?

thank you 

Dave_Hall

I assume this is what you are looking for (snipped from here:(

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Catalin_Patrascu
New Contributor

Hy, Thank you for your answers. Now practicaly i have the following choice: 1) buy subscription and all the service are back and functional 2) delete all the policy and leave the web traffic free Is correct?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No not delete the fwpolicy but remove the UTM security profile from the firewall policies. I think that' s what you meant how long has the FGT been out of contract?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
huzefa47
New Contributor

Does DLP in FortiGate require any subscription?

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't think so. Easy to test though.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors