Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
fuks87i
New Contributor

FortiAnalyzer- the problem with logs.

Hi, Our FA1000C has been upgraded to 5.06 version. Device is collecting logs file from FortiGates. When I go to the Log View, Traffic Log I see columns: Date/Time, Source/View, Destination IP, Service, Sent/Received, User and VPN for VPN ipsec Traffic. There is a problem with column " User" , because is empty, does not display any information, in contrast to other( full information). How do I know which user (AD login) was logged in the past, since I can only see the IP address( Column Source/Device) ? The Event Log-> VPN contains information about the AD user(xauthUser) but does not display other information(source, destination IP, service). These are empty records. I tried to create new dataset which contains logs from Traffic and Event but it does not give the expected result. Situation like the one described above.Should Should I focus on creating an appropriate DATASET joined by two LOG files (Traffic and Event VPN)? Is that possible to create a new query with two diffrent log files? Regards, Fuks
fuks
fuks
8 REPLIES 8
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Have you tried the factory default VPN usage report? This report supports FGT 5.0 or later and it has a number of improvements in FAZ 5.0.7.
Ling Lu
fuks87i
New Contributor

hi, i have tried to use The default VPN usage raport but dataset " Top Dial-up VPN Users By Duration" but it does not give Information about DestinationIP, Service and Source IP. For now I created two new querries, one from Traffic log and one from Event Log. It' s hard to find a common element which it will be use to locate user from Event Log and localize him in Traffic Log. Even Data/Time is diffrent between two logs for logged user (many services used when user was logged). I Can' t find 100% match for single user. 5.07? Can anyone confirm that reports in 5.07 are much better and give more information than firmware 5.06?
fuks
fuks
fuks87i
New Contributor

Additional question: Can I generate report in CSV format?
fuks
fuks
L_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi there,
For now I created two new querries, one from Traffic log and one from Event Log. It' s hard to find a common element which it will be use to locate user from Event Log and localize him in Traffic Log. Even Data/Time is diffrent between two logs for logged user (many services used when user was logged). I Can' t find 100% match for single user.
This is a known limitation with FGT 5.0 (or earlier) IPsec VPN. With 5.2 FOS, if you follow the new way to configure IPsec VPN (not configure user group in the IPsec Phase 1 but config the authentication in the policy), you will get the correct IPsec VPN user info in the traffic log.
Additional question: Can I generate report in CSV format?
For 5.0.7, it supports PDF and HTML formats - CSV is not supported.
Ling Lu
fuks87i
New Contributor

L.Clarke thanks a lot! Now i have clear vision about FG reports. Can I use an external tool, like a SQLite Database Browser or use other postgres tool, to connect into internal FA log database (need to know login and password)?
fuks
fuks
Istvan_Takacs_FTNT

You can' t login to the FAZ DB, but you can configure it to use an external DB server. That way you could do whatever you want with the data in that MySQL DB. You can also create your custom reports by using SQL queries on FAZ, but for that you need to use the built-in CLI instead of a 3rd party tool. Eg. config report dataset edit <dataset_name> set query <sql_statement> next end
Warren_Olson_FTNT

If CLI isn' t your preference you can go to datasets within the report options and create a custom one, then put in postgres to query the db directly and click ' test' to see the output.
fuks87i
New Contributor

in near future I' ll decide which solution will be used. Warren Olson, I tried this all the time but did not get the correct result.
fuks
fuks
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors