Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Kenundrum
Contributor III

5.2 DHCP bug?

I installed 5.2 on the FGT-60C I have at my house and noticed an interesting problem with my windows 8 machine. The DHCP server was handing out the DNS servers as the default gateway and vice versa. Effectively killing my internet connection on dhcp on that computer. The short term solution is to set up a dns forwarder on the default gateway so that the address mismatch still results in a valid config- or use static ip. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? It definitely did not affect any other devices running android.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
8 REPLIES 8
Istvan_Takacs_FTNT

Guess you' re using the wireless to connect to your 60C from the Windows 8 host. How does your DHCP config looks like on the interface where the host connects to? # conf sys dhcp server # get <dhcp server config id> # conf sys dns # get # conf wire vap # get <wireless interface name>
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

That' s interesting and we haven' t seen that behavior on any FGT60D or FWF60D models which are the only thing we have running 5.2 at this time. We have had reports of Win8 users complaining of a long dhcp acquisition tho.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Kenundrum
Contributor III

config system dhcp server edit 1 set forticlient-on-net-status disable set dns-service default set default-gateway 192.168.1.1 set netmask 255.255.255.0 set interface " internal" config ip-range edit 1 set start-ip 192.168.1.110 set end-ip 192.168.1.210 next end config system dns set primary 208.91.112.53 set secondary 208.91.112.52 end as this is my home network, i' m ok with wireless clients on the same segment as wired users. it helps with upnp streaming from my media server.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I don' t see anything major wrong but I would change the " set dns-service default " to " set dns-service specify" tho. Also you should do a diag and packet capture if possible. diag debug reset diag debug app dhcps -1 diag debug enable

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

set default-gateway 192.168.1.1
If the 60C was deployed in a larger network environment, I would suspect a rouge DHCP server or incorrect ICS settings or even MITM attack. On the suspected machines, for starters I would perform an arp to see what mac address turns up for 192.168.1.1.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
netmin
Contributor II

In case the network check returns no result and as it appears to be visible on the Win8 machine only: it looks like such/similar errors can also occur if Intel ProSet Wireless software is used with older Intel WLAN drivers - some solved it by removing ProSet software (config handled by Win) and some upgraded both to a matching revision.
simonorch
Contributor

We' re using 5.2 on 60Ds for a large retail project with 5 scopes, one with a few options, some with default GW and DNS settings, others with specific settings and we certainly haven' t seen anything like this, we have though seen a GUI bug when trying to set option 60

NSE8
Fortinet Expert partner - Norway

NSE8Fortinet Expert partner - Norway
Kenundrum
Contributor III

It appears to have been something with a DHCP reservation. The windows 8 machine was the only one that also had a reservation. I removed the reservation from the config and renewed the address and the problem went away. I did an upgrade from 5.0.9 so I' m not quite sure what the culprit may have been. Thanks for the input everyone.

CISSP, NSE4

CISSP, NSE4
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors