Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
bartman10
Contributor

GUI:Interface DHCP, no option for 2 DNS servers

Just ran into this on a 40C I was configuring at a remote office in China. In the GUI, on the Internal interface, DHCP options, Specify DNS server only gives you the option to put in 1 DNS IP address. There may be some special format for listing 2 DNS servers on that one line.. but I could not find it in the help manual or by guessing using " ,:;" . It would be nice if when you select " Sepcify DNS" it gave you " Primary-" and " Secondary-" fields to populate. I did drop to the CLI and was able to add a 2nd DNS server and verified the client was receiving both DNS servers. Config system dhcp server Edit1 set dns-server2 8.8.8.8 end In the GUI it still only shows the primary DNS.... again.. why is there not a option for 2? 2 is kind of standard... generally speaking.. Please reference my computer generated consept for the new GUI.

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track.

Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing.

FAZ-200D

FAC-VM 2 node cluster

Friends don't let friends FWF!

300E x3, 200D, 140D, 94D, 90D x2, 80D, 40C, handful of 60E's.. starting to loose track. Over 100 WiFi AP's and growing. FAZ-200D FAC-VM 2 node cluster Friends don't let friends FWF!
6 REPLIES 6
Warren_Olson_FTNT

Yes it' s hidden in the CLI. config system dhcp server edit <x> (the one tied to your referenced interface) set dns-server2 8.8.8.8 set dns-server3 8.8.4.4 end
hklb
Contributor II

You can specify dns domain in CLI too (it should be useful): set domain mydomain.adds
dasilva13
New Contributor

I agree and believe in the old 4 versions of the OS it was part of the GUI. Dual DNS is just a standard item I believe that should be included!
Jordan_Thompson_FTNT

This will be available on the FortiOS UI in a 5.2 patch release.
jvanderzee

Just as an update if you place the two DNS servers in the "Specify" field with a comma between it will use the two.

Example: 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220

Hope that helps if someone is more comfortable with the GUI.

forthright

The use of a comma is correct as user jvanderzee suggested.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors