Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
miky
New Contributor

LACP recommandation between Fortigate FortiOS 5 and Cisco switch

Hello, I would like to know if some of you have a recommendation for a configuration between a Cisco switch port-channel and a Fortigate Agg FortiOS5 On my Cisco configuration I' ve used this for the physical interfaces channel-group 1 mode active switchport nonegotiate On the Fortigate I have edit " Agg1" set vdom " root" set type aggregate set member " port1" " port2" set lacp-mode passive So LACP active on the Cisco switch and passive on the Fortigate. Thank you
19 REPLIES 19
Matthew_Mollenhauer
New Contributor III

The below are the configs we' re using: Cisco: interface Port-channel1 description uplink to FortigateFW switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-150,200-250,300-350 switchport mode trunk spanning-tree portfast trunk end Fortigate: config system interface edit " LACP VLAN Group" set vdom " Blah" set type aggregate set member " port28" " port29" set snmp-index 52 set lacp-mode static next end The Cisco switches we' re connecting with are stacked 3750G' s running IOS 15.0(2)SE Our Fortigates are a HA Pair (A/P) 1240B' s running 5.0.6, though we' ve used this config since FortiOS 4 MR2. If you' re using HA you' ll need separate Port Channel groups for each Fortigate. We' ve also had one or two occurrences where we' ve had Speed/Duplex mismatches, so you may need to statically set ports on both sides. Regards, Matthew
Ed1

Do you still need separate ether-channels on the Cisco side if the cluster is Active Active?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Cisco: interface Port-channel1 description uplink to FortigateFW switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-150,200-250,300-350 switchport mode trunk spanning-tree portfast trunk end Fortigate: config system interface edit " LACP VLAN Group" set vdom " Blah" set type aggregate set member " port28" " port29" set snmp-index 52 set lacp-mode static next end
The cisco stuff you posted is NOT a lacp bundle btw. Here' s a real LACP mode active from a 3750G int range gi 1/0/1-2 no shut switchport channel-group 10 mode active channel-protocol lacp load-interval 30 logging event link-status logging event bundle-status ! ! int port 10 description 2 GIG bundle to FGT ! Keep in mind you can trunk over the etherchannel also. So this will allow you to use the aggregate ports more effective and by issuing sub-intf

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Matthew_Mollenhauer

The cisco stuff you posted is NOT a lacp bundle btw.
You' re absolutely correct, it' s not LACP but raw/static etherchannel. We had several issues when we did our deployment where the Cisco and Fortigate would either not negotiate at all or it would negotiate too often and drop the link. Changing to use a static link aggregation was the best solution in our case, though it' s not the only way aggregation can be done. That' s also the reason the interface is labeled " LACP VLAN Group" it was originally a proper LACP configuration. I know some people argue against using static aggregation because there are some dangers with MAC flapping & loops, but in a DC environment where physical connections are static(we' ve made no physical changes to our 1240B' s in 3.5 years) the dangers are minimal. IMO, LACP introduces a bigger risk where a software bug can cause the negotiation to not work properly, ie see ShrewLWD post that mentions bug #0229638. As for the stability of 5.0, I' d have to agree that there have been several bugs that could have been nasty to our Production environment. 5.0 GA -> 5.0.2 were not " friendly" while 5.0.3 was actually somewhat mature. I guess that' s why we send firmware changes through our Test and DR environments before they hit Production. I also have to say I' m not overly happy with the way that new features and changes of functionality are introduced in the minor releases, they should be bug fixes only. Regards, Matthew Mollenhauer
miky
New Contributor

Hello, Thank you both for your answers. Regarding my Cisco configuration I just wrote the important lines (not the syslog or load-interval related commands) and of course I do use trunk with the firewall. I didn' t write the channel-protocol lacp command but according to the 2960X Cisco switch it is LACP. Group Port-channel Protocol Ports ------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------------------------- 1 Po1(SU) LACP Gi1/0/41(P) Gi2/0/41(P) I' m asking the question because I see a lot of output drops on the port-channel interface and I would tend to think it' s due to the Fortigate side. #sh int po1 | i drops Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 99837 Incremendation happen when there is a load on the link
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

highly doubt it' s the fortigate causing output drop on a interface facing the fortigate and on a cisco swith. Can you confirm flow-control is disable on interface gi 1/0/41/+2/0/41? Do you have any QoS enabled ( policy-map, thresholds,etc....) Do you have giant frames allowed? Drops could be anything from a ACL list , unknown datagrams,etc...?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ShrewLWD
Contributor

hi everyone, this past weekend we had issues with attempting to LAG link the SFP ports of a 100D (v506) to use dual fiber down to Cisco 3750s at our DR site. No matter what we tried, LAG would not link up. We are using the simplest of LAG setups on both ends. When I ran diagnose netlink aggregate name [MyLAGsName] I noticed LACP state: negotiating actor state: ASAIDD partner state: ASAOEE It seems Active/Active doesn' t work, and the Fortinet won' t respond either, if it is in passive mode and the Ciscos in Active. We were able to get it up and running by putting both into STATIC mode. I realize it is not the most ideal, but packets are passing, and we are not seeing any errors or dropped packets. The Fortinet TAC mentioned a known bug with some portion of LACP that is still unresolved (bug# 0229638). Hope this helps!
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

That' s interesting, all of the fortinet that I' ve worked with that support 802.3ad works regardless of if they are ACT/PASS Remember with within any 802.3ad setup, one member-side must be in ACTIVE mode. Are you 100% sure the 3750 was setup for LACP and not PAGP ? and did they issues any show etherchannel and show lacp commands ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ShrewLWD
Contributor

Hi emnoc, Here is what the Cisco looked like; ! interface Port-channel25 switchport access vlan 10 ! interface GigabitEthernet1/1/1 description " OWS Links" switchport access vlan 10 mls qos trust dscp channel-protocol lacp channel-group 25 mode active ! interface GigabitEthernet2/1/1 description " OWS Links" switchport access vlan 10 mls qos trust dscp channel-protocol lacp channel-group 25 mode active ! Here was my Fortinet; config vdom edit VD_PWAN config system interface edit " port15" set vdom " VD_PWAN" set type physical set snmp-index 25 next edit " port16" set vdom " VD_PWAN" set type physical set snmp-index 26 next edit " COLO_Link" set vdom " VD_PWAN" set broadcast-forward enable set l2forward enable set stpforward enable set type aggregate set member " port15" " port16" set snmp-index 44 next end The only settings that allowed it to link up was; Cisco: channel-group 25 mode on Fortinet: set lacp-mode static We tried all the other variations, with a full reboot of the 100D between changes.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors