Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ciscokid1903
New Contributor

Mass Creation of object addresses in FGT

Has anyone created a script for importing a list of IP addresses to create Object Addresses within the FortiGate firewall? Ideally this script would allow for updates etc on a monthly basis. example list IP,Hostname,Interface 111.111.111.111,HOST-1,OUTSIDE 222.222.222.222,HOST-2,OUTSIDE 333.333.333.333,HOST-3,OUTSIDE to produce an output like the following:
  edit HOST-1 
  set type ipmask 
  set subnet 111.111.111.111/255.255.255.255 
  set associated-interface OUTSIDE  
  next 
  edit HOST-2 
  set type ipmask 
  set subnet 222.222.222.222/255.255.255.255 
  next 
  edit HOST-3 
  set type ipmask 
  set subnet 333.333.333.333/255.255.255.255 
  end 

3 Solutions
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

That doesn' t look to be so difficult. You would still have to manually upload that into your unit though.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

View solution in original post

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

here you are with a rudimentary batch script:
 @echo off
 REM input: textfile addr.txt with IP,name,interface (one per line)
 REM values delimited by commas, comments start with #

REM redirect output to a batch command file for uploading to a Fortigate

echo config firewall address
 for /f " eol=# tokens=1-3 delims=,"  %%i in (addr.txt) do CALL :oneaddr %%i %%j %%k
 echo end
 goto :EOF

:oneaddr
 echo edit %2  
 echo set type ipmask  
 echo set subnet %1/32
 set intf=%3  
 if [%3]==[] set intf=ANY 
 echo set associated-interface %intf%   
 echo next
with this input file
# IP,Hostname,Interface 111.111.111.111,HOST-1,OUTSIDE 222.222.222.222,HOST-2 333.333.333.333,HOST-3,OUTSIDE
this output is produced:
config firewall address edit HOST-1 set type ipmask set subnet 111.111.111.111/32 set associated-interface OUTSIDE next edit HOST-2 set type ipmask set subnet 222.222.222.222/32 set associated-interface ANY next edit HOST-3 set type ipmask set subnet 333.333.333.333/32 set associated-interface OUTSIDE next end

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

step-by-step on a Windows PC:

assuming you copied and pasted my batch script into notepad and saved that as "mkadr.cmd".

Then you write down your addresses in notepad and save that as "addr.txt".

- this name is fixed! the script expects only this name, you cannot change it. -

Then you open a commandline: press the Windows key (lower left of keyboard, between Ctrl and Alt), and type "cmd.exe" into the search field. A DOS box/command line window should open.

Go into the directory where you saved the 2 files: cd "C:\users\blabla\downloads"

You should be able to list these files: "dir mkadr.cmd", "dir addr.txt"

Now generate the batchcommands for the Fortigate: "mkadr > newadr.bcmd"

Check the file: "dir newadr.bcmd", filesize should be > 0.

To upload to the Fortigate, in the GUI go to System > Config > Advanced, Scripts and upload the file.

Afterwards check the address objects in Firewall Objects > Addresses.

Ede

31 REPLIES 31
rwpatterson
Valued Contributor III

That doesn' t look to be so difficult. You would still have to manually upload that into your unit though.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
Valoni

rwpatterson wrote:

is the script below supposed to be run on the FGT unit or the windows PC and why?

@echo off

for /f " eol=# tokens=1-3 delims=," %%i in (addr.txt) do CALL :oneaddr %%i %%j %%k
echo end

echo edit %2
echo set type ipmask
echo set subnet %1/32
set intf=%3
if [%3]==[] set intf=ANY
echo next
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

@echo off

for /f " eol=# tokens=1-3 delims=,"  %%i in (addr.txt) do CALL :oneaddr %%i %%j %%k
 echo end

echo edit %2  
 echo set type ipmask  
 echo set subnet %1/32
 set intf=%3  
 if [%3]==[] set intf=ANY 
 echo next
with this input file
# IP,Hostname,Interface 111.111.111.111,HOST-1,OUTSIDE 222.222.222.222,HOST-2 333.333.333.333,HOST-3,OUTSIDE
this output is produced:
config firewall address edit HOST-1 set type ipmask set subnet 111.111.111.111/32 set associated-interface OUTSIDE next edit HOST-2 set type ipmask set subnet 222.222.222.222/32 set associated-interface ANY next edit HOST-3 set type ipmask set subnet 333.333.333.333/32 set associated-interface OUTSIDE next end

Ede

Allwyn_Mascarenhas

ede_pfau wrote:
 @echo off

for /f " eol=# tokens=1-3 delims=," %%i in (addr.txt) do CALL :oneaddr %%i %%j %%k
echo end

echo edit %2
echo set type ipmask
echo set subnet %1/32
set intf=%3
if [%3]==[] set intf=ANY
echo next
with this input file
this output is produced:

Hey thanks for this, just need lil help on transferring it to a txt file. I tried the filename > bulk.txt in your next reply but couldn't get it to work. Where do i add this line?

Valoni

ede_pfau wrote:
 @echo off

echo end

echo edit %2
echo set type ipmask
echo set subnet %1/32
set intf=%3
if [%3]==[] set intf=ANY
echo next
with this input file
this output is produced:

what do you mean rudimentary? where do I run this script? the pc or the Fortigate unit? I have over 200 ip addresses I need to add to different vdoms on my unit, do you have any idea how I could go about this?

ede_pfau

This is a Windows script, run in a command line window (cmd.exe).

If you have to ask, you probably can't change it - which would be necessary to adopt it to VDOMs.

'Rudimentary' because it's so simple. On a PC because at that time there was no scripting on a FGT. IMHO there's still not a decent shell in FOS.

Just create the output and upload it to the FGT via 'batch command'.

Ede

Valoni

Im thinking I may need edit the script since your script only has provision for 3 addresses, right?...

I wanted to understand the mechanism, run a windows script using cli and it operates in the Fortigate, which means I have to be logged in to the FGT before running this script right?

ede_pfau

No, not at all! Please re-read my posts...

This script is run on a Win PC. The output file (a text file) can be uploaded to the FGT via System > Advanced > Batch command. You will need admin access to the FGT for this, but not for the file creation.

You need to supply the 200 addresses in a CSV file (comma separated values), that is a text file where you put "ip address", comma, "hostname" on one line, with one line per host. My example just held only 3 addresses so not to bore the audience.

Ede

poundy

My go-to these days for this type of task is powershell. I create a "template" of what I want the commands to look like, and then import my CSV values and create the appropriate commands. I can then copy the commands out of the powershell output results, and paste them into my CLI session to the FGT.

For this task, here's my source command and for-loop that goes thru each line in the CSV file (my example uses c:\temp\test-fgt.csv) and substitutes the values and outputs the string. 

$Sourcecommandtext = " edit `"%hostname%`"  set type ipmask  set associated-interface %interface%  set subnet %IPAddress%/32 next " foreach ($line in (import-csv -path c:\temp\test-fgt.csv )) {  $commandstext = $sourcecommandtext -replace "%hostname%",$line.hostname  $commandstext = $commandstext -replace "%interface%",$line.interface  $commandstext = $commandstext -replace "%IPAddress%",$line.IP  $commandstext }
The output of this is:  
edit "host-1"  set type ipmask  set associated-interface OUTSIDE  set subnet 111.111.111.111/32 next edit "host-2"  set type ipmask  set associated-interface OUTSIDE  set subnet 222.222.222.222/32 next edit "Host-3"  set type ipmask  set associated-interface OUTSIDE  set subnet 333.333.333.333/32 next
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors