Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jay_Libove
Contributor

Google Authenticator instead of FortiToken?

Since FortiToken is OAUTH compliant, can we not use Google Authenticator instead? Anyone been able to work that out? thanks,
2 Solutions
Jay_Libove
Contributor

One more thing that comes to mind, FortiNet itself doesn' t need to be involved in a 2-factor authentication solution at all. The FortiGate appliance is the seed and authentication server. A FortiToken or Google Authenticator or any other OAUTH compliance soft token is the end-user device. The communication goes over the same Internet connection which the user and the FortiGate must have in order for the whole idea to be useful anway. So for FortiGate to put itself in the middle, and offer an expensive service, and not include the 2-factor server in FortiOS for those customers who are happy to run it themselves, seems to me to just be a way to try to squeeze more money out of the customers, without providing additional value. (It also makes FortiNet' s servers a potential point of failure).

View solution in original post

dred_FTNT
Staff
Staff

we' ll just have to agree to disagree. but i' ll try one more time to answer your concerns: first of all the, the organization for authentication interoperability standards is OATH, not OAUTH. OAuth is an open standard for authorization, something completely different. second, what other firewall/VPN vendor offers free tokens for 2FA? Not Cisco, not Checkpoint, not Juniper, not anyone. Fortinet is the only vendor that offers two free tokens with their devices. If you don' t want Fortinet tokens fro use with your FortiGate, then use someone else' s, like Vasco, Safenet or RSA. But you will still have to pay those vendors. As for pricing analysis, that is highly proprietary and is not something to share in a public forum. And there is always a difference between " List" and " street" price. And there are tons of pricing gimmicks and games, such as server costs and annual subscription fees. So an apples-to-apples comparison is not trivial. A quick Google search reveals this link to a cost comparison from Yubico, who claims the YubiKey has the lowest total fees and annual total cost per credential. http://www.yubico.com/products/comparison/cost/ Their annual soft token cost is $38 PER YEAR. As for security, the token in 2FA is the second factor, the " something you have" factor. If that factor is able to be copied, it is no longer meeting the definition of 2FA and is not secure in that sense. Tokens installed on GA are easily copied. I can load the same token on multiple instances of GA thereby breaking the second factor rule. Further, GA tokens can be easily stolen through shoulder surfing. The same is not true for FortiToken Mobile because of the way FTM tokens are generated, transmitted and provisioned. They seeds are never visible and they can only be activated one time. Fortinet does not charge extra for security. Fortinet is a security company and bakes security into every product. It is part of the Fortinet DNA.
David Redberg Fortinet Product Manager

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Dipen
New Contributor III

Not sure if Google Authenticator is supposed to work with 3rd Party Applications. I am using it for Google Applications currently...Its very good.

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5

Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D

Ahead of the Threat. FCNSA v5 / FCNSP v5 Fortigate 1000C / 1000D / 1500D
Jay_Libove
Contributor

Google Authenticator is used by many non-Google sites. Amazon AWS, for example. And Microsoft Hotmail (' scuse me, " outlook.com" ). And LastPass. And Facebook. And.... So, yes, it could be made to work with FortiGate. The question is, why doesn' t FortiNet enable it?
dred_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Fortinet offers FortiToken Mobile (FTM) as its mobile OTP app. FTM is more secure than Google Authenticator in the way the OTP seeds (shared secrets) are provisioned to the app. GA simply accepts base32 encoded seed values, which make the tokens on GA vulnerable. FTM uses dynamic seed creation and transmits the seeds in AES encrypted format to the app, where the seeds are encrypted and bound to the device. FTM version 2 for iOS and Android (BB10 is coming) supports third party tokens (Google, Dropbox, Amazon, etc.), all for free. So why not use FTM instead of GA?
David Redberg Fortinet Product Manager
Jay_Libove

Hi dred, I' m not sure, when you say " FTM version 2 .. supports third party tokens .... So why not use FTM instead of GA?" , whether you are saying that I can use FTM for free in whatever quantity I want with my FortiGate 100D appliance. I doubt it, based on the exorbitant price quote I got from my local FortiNet partner for FortiToken licenses this week. Even if FTM is slightly more secure, we' re not looking for perfect security, we' re looking for useful security against far-remote attacks. A token, any token, Google Authenticator or FortiToken Mobile, for us is principally to prevent the theft of a password from being sufficient to gain remote access to our resources. FTM (on device) being more secure than GA (on device) is of little concern to me, as if the device itself is lost or stolen, the principal security control is that the employee promptly report the loss/theft and we disable the credential. (That said, it would be good for Google to add a PIN option). My goal is to not have to pay €80/soft token to FortiNet for a service which many other sites offer for free. We always have to remember, as security people, that security does not exist in a vacuum. Security generally should not be ' perfect' because that will almost surely impose costs in money and/or usability which are unsustainable to our organizations. So, are you saying that I can add however many more token users I want to my FG100D for free? .. or just that I could use FortiToken Mobile instead of Google Authenticator for non-FortiNet things (which is of no interest to me). thanks, -Jay
ORIGINAL: dred Fortinet offers FortiToken Mobile (FTM) as its mobile OTP app. FTM is more secure than Google Authenticator in the way the OTP seeds (shared secrets) are provisioned to the app. GA simply accepts base32 encoded seed values, which make the tokens on GA vulnerable. FTM uses dynamic seed creation and transmits the seeds in AES encrypted format to the app, where the seeds are encrypted and bound to the device. FTM version 2 for iOS and Android (BB10 is coming) supports third party tokens (Google, Dropbox, Amazon, etc.), all for free. So why not use FTM instead of GA?
Hoygen

Anyone has been able to set up google authenticator instead of fortitoken?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Man this a old thread pulled way from the past. As far as Google  being less secured it's a highly recognized solution  and widely accepted.

I have used 3rd party MFA solutions with  FTNT 

http://socpuppet.blogspot.com/2017/04/securing-fortigate-sslvpn-with-mfa-by.html

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Joe667
New Contributor

Just a quick note regarding Duo. I presently use Duo for 2FA on my SSL VPN. The plan I am on ($10/mo for each group of 10 users) is no longer offered and will be discontinued this year. To continue with Duo will be around $3/mo per user. Compared to the one-time price of a FortiToken, it's a no-brainer. To duplicate the push authentication of Duo you need to employ a FortiAuthenticator (lists at approx $3200, plus $800/year maintenance). I can't find a better deal than the Fortinet solution.

ispcolohost

Duo is far more than just a second factor though.  For the relatively low cost, it also lets me do a large variety of other things, like not allowing a mobile device with out of date OS be used as the second factor, restrict, or require additional auth, if the request is from a certain country or non-whitelisted country, set restrictions for a given person on a per-app basis instead of them having to have one TOTP solution for Fortigate VPN, one for application X, a third for application Y, etc., log accesses in an easy to use manner, finally, it has a method for secure self re-enrollment should their primary device be rendered unusable.  If a Fortitoken app device gets lost, guess what, they're calling IT who then will likely have to walk through a cumbersome set of steps to truly auth that user and get them a new Fortitoken code, or if the device is stolen, now you have to find a firewall admin to deal with locking the old token out, there's no good audit trail, etc.  It's just a huge pain for an entity of reasonable size; Fortitoken, and FortiAuth for that matter, are not scalable or cost effective solutions; they're just a headache.

Besides all that though, I'm simply annoyed that Fortinet is choosing to monetize TOTP at the expense of offering much more comprehensive security solutions; their FortiToken is nothing more than TOTP that they're not letting you have the key for.  I'd prefer to pay more for my hardware, or my support contract, and not deal with petty nickel-and- diming.

axot

If you could dump the seed, then you can get it to work in other applications.

Here is a ruby script for example.

```

totp = ROTP::TOTP.new(seed, interval: 60) print totp.now ```

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors