Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
prodced
New Contributor

[resolved] Forticlient problem with host file large size

Hi,

Hello, I have a pretty big problem with the Forticlient 6.0.4 only on windows 7 enterprise. That filled me my Host file which is located in c: \ windows \ system32 \ drivers \ etc. While this one is normally 16kB, FCDBLog locks the Host file and filled it with data up to 3GB. If I look at the task manager, FCDlog uses 25% of the processor and uses as much memory as file size The PC becomes unusable and the Forticlient also Have you ever met this problem?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
BenneP
New Contributor

I was having the same issue here on only one computer, after deploying 6.0.4 on about 15 computers.

hosts file is 2.00 GB and FCDBlog.exe memory usage goes up to 5.00GB, then suddently goes down to a couple of MB and rises back up slowly.

Windows 10 Pro 1803, 17134.471 (so not your Windows 7's fault)

I shutdown Forticlient (had to disable management from my EMS server first) then I was able to delete it and recreate it (I had a backup copy of it)

Now, FCDBlog.exe memory usage is much more reasonable (about 10 MB so far, been watching it for 20 minutes)

EDIT:

The issue is slowly coming back, my host file is getting bigger and bigger, it is now 64 MB. It effectively doubles every telemetry cicle (60 seconds) There is a bunch of Junk caracters at the end of the file that keeps adding up.

Seppel
Contributor II

Hi

At us files do not get bigger. But what I notice is that the host file always has the current date. The change date is always up to date. Does it bring anything if you set the host file read only?

Regards

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager

FortiEMS

FortiSandbox 1000D

FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager FortiEMS FortiSandbox 1000D FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------
BenneP
New Contributor

Oddly, I did the same operation as earlier (disable management, shutdown forticlient, replace host file with fresh copy) but this time the problem did not happen. I've been working all day with the forticlient running and FCDBlog now only uses Under 10 MB of memory. The only difference is that this time I used a really fresh copy (I had some manual entries before, now I Don't)

Hopefully It won't happen again, but we won't be deploying at large scale for now...

prodced
New Contributor

Hello,

I solved my problem.

In our Host file, we had comments with words with accents .. And yes in France we have many words with accents.

Also Forticlient not being able to interpret them, it transforms the accents by special characters but in continuous which fills the file host very quickly of some mega to see some giga

Once all accents have been replaced in my Host file, the problem no longer exists
Seppel

I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for your Feedback.

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager

FortiEMS

FortiSandbox 1000D

FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------

Fortigate 500E HA Fortimail 200 Fortimanager FortiEMS FortiSandbox 1000D FortiSwitch Network Some other Models in use :-) ---------------------------------------------------- FCSE ----------------------------------------------------
Silc
New Contributor

Hello, have the same problem.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors