Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
blackstark
New Contributor II

fortiswitch fortilink question

Hello I'm new to fortiswitch . Do  i need to use dedicated ports for fortilink traffic? Should these ports be 1G or 10G? How much bandwidth is required?

If I understand correctly fortilink traffic is different (seperate)  than my normal data traffic 

so for example i should have 1 x 1G or 1 x 10G link connecting my firewall to my switch for fortilink management traffic and then I should have another port (most likely 2 x 10G ) for inside data traffic / Trunk .

Is my understanding correct?

5 REPLIES 5
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @blackstark,

Fortilink is used to connect to FortiSwitch and it will handle all traffic from the switch. So it is better to use 10G port. 

Regards, 

blackstark
New Contributor II

so dedicated fortilink not required?

you are saying combine fortilink function and data traffic on same physical links?

hbac

@blackstark,

Yes, that physical interface needs to have fortilink enabled. 

config system interface 

edit <>

set fortilink enable 

end 

Regards, 

blackstark
New Contributor II

i was told that it is recommended by Fortinet to have dedicated fortilink interface . 

where is the official documentation discussing this?

hbac

@blackstark

FortiLink is used to connect FortiGate to FortiSwitches. All non-local traffic from users behind FortiSwitches will go through the fortilink interface. https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortiswitch/7.4.2/fortilink-guide/173260/configuring-fortilink#1.

Regards, 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors