Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
antoniocerasuolo
New Contributor

fortigate 40F/ needs a license?

hi,

is a license necessary for this device?? do i need to pay a yearly fee?

if yes what is the cost /year?

i need ips /threat management etc..

ciao,

Antonio

4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Contributor III

Hello @antoniocerasuolo ,

If you want to use UTM features (Like IPS, AV, Web Filter, APP Control), you need to buy a license for these features. 

You can review the UTM packages below the link. (3rd page)

https://www.fortinet.com/content/dam/fortinet/assets/data-sheets/og-fortiguard.pdf

If you want to buy a UTM package. You need to contact with local Fortinet Partner. You can find reseller contact information in this link. 

https://partnerportal.fortinet.com/directory

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
antoniocerasuolo

Hi,

ok but do you have a device that doesn't need any license? those partners are major corporations so i can imagine very expensive.. i need something  for free or very very cheap.

can you suggest a device?

ozkanaltas

Hello @antoniocerasuolo ,

If you ask this question about the Fortinet device. There are no options for using the UTM feature without a license.

If you want to just use the basic firewall feature, you can use your FortiGate 40F without a license. Such as VPN, Firewall Policy, Routing, etc.

If you are looking for a free thing. You can search open source firewall solutions.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
antoniocerasuolo

ok thanks!! clear..

but from my research on those open source firewall solutions from my understanding don't even have decent IPS or threat management..for me no issue to pay once to buy the box.. but then every year pay is not so cool.

thanks for the help anyway

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors