Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
francisjithin
New Contributor

Youtube Application Block not effecting for android phones

I am using FortiGate100F and enabled YouTube block, But the block is effecting only on Computers. If i am using a Android phone and YouTube application, the blocking is not effecting.
Pls suggest the exact option to block Youtube on Android Phones

5 REPLIES 5
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @francisjithin,

Are you using Application Control or Web Filter to block Youtube? Can you check forward traffic log to see what is being allowed. 

Regards, 

AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Can you share a screenshot of the policy you are using to block this traffic?

AEK
AEK
francisjithin

fortinet1.jpgfortinet2.jpgfortinet3.jpg

Please find the above screenshots.
Initially i have blocked Video & Audio and then separately blocked YouTube in custom tab.
It was was found YouTube completely blocked for the users who are in the network with a computer and browser. But for the android mobile user's with YouTube can access YouTube without any restriction.
As per my observation in forward traffic log,It was found some ip category as google service showing while the use of Youtube by Android mobiles.
Then i have add those IPs (starting from 142.250.XX.XX) in web filter.
Then found youtube application not working in android mobiles but some times its working.
Is there any one point solution to fix this issue and is it possible to block YouTube completely from my network 

nfored
New Contributor II

I would confirm your blocking QUIC, so the video will go back to tls 1.2/1.3 which can then be decrypted and blocked.  I know the video filter was 100% ineffective for me until I blocked quic once quic was out of the picture I was able to see and block youtube videos. Its possible the app on the android is just direct to quick skipping the app control.

mpftnt
Staff
Staff

Hi @francisjithin.

Here are some suggestions:

1. Block all youtube-related signatures on the Application Control Profile:

Youtube.png

2. Create a static URL filter on your web filter profile for *.youtube.com and set the action to 'Block'

3. Ensure you clear the session before testing:

dia sys session filter src <IP address>

dia sys session clear

Regards,

MP

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors