Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Robert_White
New Contributor

WAN Link Load Balancing Design Question (Or Fail-over Design)

Any thoughts on making this design work.

[ul]
  • Each of our remote sites have a 90D. They have a internet connection over cable, And a layer 2 (ENS) connection back to our main site (200D).
  • I have all local networks routing over the ENS interface (Learned via OSPF)
  • I have a default route set to the WAN interface (All other traffic)
  • I want to fail over the WAN interface to the ENS if the internet is down. 
  • Note: I kind of have it working when I have two default routes config, and give a higher priority to the ENS static route. If I physically remove the cable it will pick the ENS route. However, if it is a soft down it will continue to route as normal. I really like the idea of the health check via the WAN link load balancing. [/ul]

Any thoughts or suggestions? In a perfect world i would love to have a VPN tunnel setup to fail both ways if the ENS goes down.

• 2 REPLIES 2
    norouzi
    Contributor

Robert_White
    New Contributor

Thanks, The documentation in the video references ECMP, It is now only called wan-load-balance. I will test it later, would I select Source IP based, and setup the interfaces with the health check? I think I tested this when I first setup the 90D, What ended up happening was all traffic was routed over the ENS back to the main office (tested via trace-route). Maybe i missed something. 

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors