Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FKribs
New Contributor

VPN stuck at status 98%

We are running Windows Server 2012 R2. We have installed the most recent FortiNet client (vpn only), version 5.2.0.0591. We have configured an SSL-VPN connection. When we click on the " connect" button, the status progresses all the way to 98% and then hangs. We have disabled the windows firewall, do not have any anti virus software installed, no group policies are being applied, and no other applications are running when we attempt to make the VPN connection. Thanks for helping!
2 Solutions
denniswong34
New Contributor

Hi All,

I just fix it by apply this fix and re-install fortigate client.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=86BDD34D41D3E179!2065&authkey=!AAeyjPB4O4uVxek

You may find the detail from this forums. Hope this could help you all. Thanks.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11682811/anyconnect-msi-installation-failed-windows-7

View solution in original post

greylander

Hi,

I seem to be experiencing this problem, or very similar problem. 

Forticlient hangs at 98% while connecting.  But this only happen occasionally -- especially if the connect dropped for some reason and I try to connect again (possibly every time this happens).

I am able to get Forticlient to connect if I reboot my machine.  So maybe this is not the identical problem discussed here.  Sometimes it gives the "You already have an open SSL VPN connection" warning, but not always. Either way, it stops at 98%, after a minute or so, it just clears the login fields of the forticlient window as if nothing had ever happened.

Rebooting my machine "resets" something and makes connection possible.  But this is a frustrating workaround.  

Is there a process or service I should be able to restart that would have the same effect as rebooting?

View solution in original post

101 REPLIES 101
pimu
New Contributor

Hi

I just experience on my Windows 10 all what greylander says (see #66 above).

I see all what he says to see, except the "You already have an open SSL VPN connection" warning, and I agree with him about the annoying workaround of restarting the machine

I would only add that I see often DNS not working after disconnection and what I see in the log of forticlient during the minute of wait before timeout:

15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: poll_recv_ssl -> SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ
15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: poll_recv_ssl return 0 bytes, read after timeout
15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: [tunnel_loop_read_socket] wait for socket event
15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: wait for socket event timeout, try to do a read
15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: [SSL-IN] buf size = 65540, ptr = 0, space = 65540
15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: [SSL-IN] len = -1
15:21:44     Debug   VPN     FortiSslvpn: 15092: poll_recv_ssl -> SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ

Regards

P.

FatalHalt

Can anyone at Fortinet weigh in on the progress on a permanent solution for this? I understand this is a complex issue that needs to be resolved jointly / working with Microsoft, but I also think 2 years is a bit of a joke.

I don't really care what the update is, I would just love to know that there is one, and that Fortinet would value its customers enough to give us some sort of update, even if the update is that it won't be fixed until Windows X, or whatever. 

fabianp

Still no progress with this issue? Some customers use now other VPN solutions, exactly because of this...

ITGuy11

One of my users just ran into this issue a few days ago.  Very annoying having to uninstall/reinstall FortiClient just to get the SSL VPN connection to work...

fabianp

Is there any other VPN Client that we can use to connect to the Forti firewall without this frustrating issue?

I know, that this isn't a problem of the forticlient itself, that this is a interaction of the client and windows 10, but I really don't bother who's the bad guy here, it just have to work as the other VPN clients, for example the Checkpoint Client.

scerazy
New Contributor III

As already stated, once fixed on W10, never ever had the problem again with old SslvpnClient64-v4.0.2304

Seb

ITGuy11

fabianp wrote:

Is there any other VPN Client that we can use to connect to the Forti firewall without this frustrating issue?

I know, that this isn't a problem of the forticlient itself, that this is a interaction of the client and windows 10, but I really don't bother who's the bad guy here, it just have to work as the other VPN clients, for example the Checkpoint Client.

The stuck at 98% issue is not isolated to Windows 10.  I have seen it occur on Windows 7 as well.

Paul_S

fabianp wrote:

relevant part of previous post:

JordanAtParkRoadSolutions wrote:

Option 3: Repair Tool   For this particular issue, "version 1" and "version 2" of the tool is purported to work under different (undefined) circumstances. UpdateFortinet has written a KB article recommended procedures for the tool below.  https://www.vpnhosting.cz/index.php/clanky/wan-miniport-repair-tool-solve-vpn-and-dial-up-error-code...

As already stated, there is a repair option that fixes the Windows operating system WAN miniport driver issue. This is not specifically a Forticlient issue.  I cannot say 100% that this is not caused by Fortinet in some way, but when the problem happens the damage is to the OS not to Forticlient, so switching VPN client may not help.

FG200D 5.6.5 (HA) - primary [size="1"]FWF50B' s 4.3.x, FG60D's 5.2.x, FG60E's 5.4.x                   [Did my post help you? Please rate my post.][/size] FAZ-VM 5.6.5  |  Fortimail 5.3.11 Network+, Security+

FG200D 5.6.5 (HA) - primary [size="1"]FWF50B' s 4.3.x, FG60D's 5.2.x, FG60E's 5.4.x [Did my post help you? Please rate my post.][/size] FAZ-VM 5.6.5 | Fortimail 5.3.11 Network+, Security+
Burmese
New Contributor

I have the same issue as yours

Filonowst
New Contributor

98% is the point where the FortiGate is supposed to issue the IP address to the VPN client. At this point, your credentials have already been verified, etcetera. Check your IP address settings and make sure they are correct. Post them here if you're not sure. Is this for all client computers or just particular ones? Sometimes when a client is disconnected suddenly and the connection is not properly terminated, something hangs on the client machine and when you try to reconnect you can't get past 98%. An OS reboot fixes it (despite searching, I haven't been able to locate the exact process, service, or device to reset the hung connection without a full reboot).

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors