Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
luca1994
New Contributor III

VPN IPSec between two fortigate: phase 1 ike msg retransmit

Hello team,

this is the scenario:

IPSec peers are both public ip so I left NAT-T disabled and enabled DPD Peer detection on demand for both firewalls.
As authentication I set PSK, IKEv1 Main (id protection) for both firewalls.
For the Phase1 Proposal part I configured AES256-SHA1 and DH 21 and 2 for both firewalls.
After that I configured the relevant policies and static route for both firewalls.

The problem is that phase1 does not go up. Running some debugging I see this in the logs:

ike debug1.pngike debug2.png

I also ran a packet capture and I see traffic on port 500 for both firewalls:

sniffer2.pngsniffer1.png

Thanks in advance for the support

BR

1 Solution
AEK

Hi Luca

I mean your issue may occur if the remote peer IP (FG-B) is conflicting with an IP set on the local FortiGate (FG-A).

Try check on FG-A may be you have a VIP or IP pool that contains the remote peer IP. In that case during negotiation packets are sent to the local FG instead of FG-B.

AEK

View solution in original post

AEK
4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Luca

Check on your local FG if the remote peer IP is set on some interface or as VIP or IP pool.

AEK
AEK
luca1994
New Contributor III

Hi @AEK ,

the remote peer IP is set on interface, also local peer.

BR

AEK

Hi Luca

I mean your issue may occur if the remote peer IP (FG-B) is conflicting with an IP set on the local FortiGate (FG-A).

Try check on FG-A may be you have a VIP or IP pool that contains the remote peer IP. In that case during negotiation packets are sent to the local FG instead of FG-B.

AEK
AEK
hbac
Staff
Staff

Hi @luca1994,

Can you run debugs on the other side? 

Regards, 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors