Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
papapuff
New Contributor II

User Quota and bandwith limit

hi there, we use FG-60D as our UTM. the schema pretty simple internet ISP -- (WAN 1) --> FG <--> clients. now we want to manage users usage. can we do: 1. set quota limit (MB) for each user? 2. can we set multiple bandwith limit, let say: we want to have 3 group. Director, staff, guests director will get X Kb/s staff will get Y Kb/s guests will get Z Kb/s. thank you
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff_FTNT
Staff
Staff

<1. set quota limit (MB) for each user? Can not <2. can we set multiple bandwith limit, let say: we want to have 3 group. Director, staff, guests director will get X Kb/s staff will get Y Kb/s guests will get Z Kb/s. Can do. Set up policy authentication and assign different " Traffic Shaping" on policy
papapuff
New Contributor II

hi, thanks for reply. I didn' t notice there is menu for setting bandwidth per IP. thank you for your info. Where I can get full manual book specific for FG60D? Resource on website has different menu on their example/tutorial, as example is how to build vpn-ssl about quota, there is menu for quota, what purpose is it? thank you
papapuff
New Contributor II

Hi, I just found http://docs-legacy.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/50/index.html#page/FortiOS%25205.0%2520Help/Security.008.16.html but I can' t find how this quota applied? per day, per week or else?
neonbit
Valued Contributor

The FortiGates have the ability to quota traffic based on time or data. A while ago they got rid of the data option and only had time based quotas available, but they' ve recently added these back on. From memory the quota for the data limit is done per 24 hours and resets at 12am every day and this cannot be changed (to week, month etc). The whole quota system is a little clunky, and can only work based on web filter categorises. I' ve honestly never found an opportunity where they would work well in an environment.
papapuff
New Contributor II

hi neonbit, thank you for sharing. perhaps engineer from fortinet can explain us clearly about this feature. also hope we can assign quota to specific IP or IP range. thanks
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

None of the fgt devices we manage has quotas enabled nor is/was there a need to, so I' m not too familiar with the quota system. But reading the 4.0 MR2/MR3 admin guides, the quote system seems to be limited; something like the fgt can only track one quota per user/group at any one-time. Since quotes are category-based (for the most part), there is some 84(?)+ sub categories -- if I were to set quotas for say 5 categories for a user/group, does the fgt reset the quota counter for a category if said user/group surfs from one category to another (where both categories have quotas)..before the 24-hour period is up? I' m going assume the quota system in 5.0/5.2 have been revised/updated or at least is better documented than it was in 4.0 MR2-MR3.

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors