Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
slemke
New Contributor II

Site 2 Site VPN Layer 2 (L2TP?)

Hello,

i have been asked for a Layer2 Site to Site VPN (I would not like to discuss an alternative - at this moment - because this is the technial requirement of the customer..).

I have done some research here in the discussions and found several statements that this is not possible at the moment with Fortigate units.

My question is: Is this statement still correct or is there a possibility in the newest firmware to do this? I am wondering about the L2TP over IPSec Support (i.e. for Android Dialin VPN). Is there a way to use this between two Fortigate units or do I miss something?

Thanks, Sebastian

4 REPLIES 4
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

there's been a post recently about L2TP server functionality in FortiOS: https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=139960

It is possible but the L2TP client feature is only available on the desktop models (< 100D).

I haven't tried it but with one FGT as L2TP server and the other as L2TP client it should meet your requirements.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
slemke
New Contributor II

Hello, thanks for pointing the direction...!! Is there anybody here in the forum who has tested such a setup? If not I plan to do this (FG100D & 60D available), but I am a bit out of time actually ;-) Thanks, Sebastian

slemke
New Contributor II

Hi,

just a quick test on a new 50E:

FGT50Exxxx # config system interface FGT50Exxxx (interface) # edit wan2 FGT50Exxxx (wan2) # set l2tp-client enable FGT50Exxxx (wan2) # ab FGT50Exxxx # config vpn l2tp FGT50Exxxx (l2tp) # set status enable FGT50Exxxx (l2tp) # ab FGT50Exxxx # Seems it´s possible to build with two 50E boxes (no errors for client & server above) - that´s absolutly fine for me.

Sebastian

Carl_Wallmark

Hi,

Another possibility is to use the VXLAN feature in FortiOS 5.4, with that you can create a L2 tunnel between two sites.

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD38614

however, 5.4 is not considered stable at the moment.

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors