Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Endiel
New Contributor

Setting up multiple incoming VPN's of the same type on the same external interface

Hello,

To preface this, I am using a Fortigate 100D on the 5.2.x firmware.

I am trying to set up multiple IPSEC VPN tunnel interfaces in my Fortigate to allow for different organizations to VPN in to the system, with different accesses.  This would allow me to let organization A have access to certain IP's/ports, while organization B would get access to different IP's/ports.

I've tried doing this two ways.  Using the "Dialup - Cisco Firewall" wizard in the Fortigate, I set up two separate VPN tunnel interface connections (both on the same incoming interface/IP), but each with different user groups, and each with their own policy.  

This did not work-- nobody could connect.  So next, I made one "Dialup - Cisco Firewall" tunnel interface, with both groups of users included, thinking I could enforce access control through policies in the firewall-- and then finally people could connect (but couldn't access any resources!).  This leads me to my first question.  Can you not have multiple seperate tunnels all coming in on the same interface using the same "method?" (which in this case is the "Dialup - Cisco Firewall" version?)  Logically I'm guessing it won't work because the firewall doesn't know which one to use before it gets to the XAUTH stage, given the user credentials, which by that point means we've already gotten past picking which tunnel.  But I'm not sure.

So, I thought I could try this a different way, by setting up policies based on certain users coming in over that VPN interface.  (For example, you put everybody on the same VPN connection, but then do policy routing based on username.)  Once again, this didn't work-- while the users could connect to the VPN, they could not access any of the resources on the internal network.  

I tried to do this by using the "Source User(s)" selector under Source Address feature in the IPv4 policy for the VPN interface (please see attachment), though I'm wondering since I'm using aggressive VPN mode and then XAUTH if this feature won't work correctly.

Anyways-- that is the crux of my problem.  What is the most efficient way to set this up?  Am I on the right track?  We host computing resources and need to let certain people have access to certain resources, but I'd like as fine grain a control as I can on that from the VPN side rather than having to implement server-side security to enforce the same rules.  But I can't seem how to figure out how to do that.

Thanks in advance for your help.  I've tried searching for this extensively and given the search terms I am using, I can never seem to dig up a reasonable answer for the exact question I'm posing.

4 REPLIES 4
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

This did not work-- nobody could connect.  So next, I made one "Dialup - Cisco Firewall" tunnel interface, with both groups of users included, thinking I could enforce access control through policies in the firewall-- and then finally people could connect (but couldn't access any resources!).  This leads me to my first question.  Can you not have multiple seperate tunnels all coming in on the same interface using the same "method?" (which in this case is the "Dialup - Cisco Firewall" version?)  Logically I'm guessing it won't work because the firewall doesn't know which one to use before it gets to the XAUTH stage, given the user credentials, which by that point means we've already gotten past picking which tunnel.  But I'm not sure.  

Actually this is how it's done and by groups. You provide the fwpolicy and group with the controls access or that group.

Can you share what you have so far ? I believe the last  time I check forticookbook had a recipe just for this. If not, FTNT should create one ;)

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Sylvia
Contributor II

Is it possible for you to work with aggressive mode instead of main mode? Then you can create two different tunnels (with different proposals or different IDs) and the clients can connect to the "right" tunnel.

Endiel
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your responses.  To answer Sylvia, it's already using aggressive mode and XAUTH for user authentication.

I'm still not sure what he problem is when I configure two of the exact same tunnels on the same interface with two seperate user groups-- nobody can connect when that is the case.

In terms of user based policy control, however, I think I figured out how to do that and the problem was that when specifying pollicies for the VPN tunnel, you have to leave the source address as "all" if you want to assign a user or a group of users for a specific policy.  I found this in the cookbook indirectly and I think it's working.

I would still like to know how to do it the other way however.

Sylvia
Contributor II

Hm, it's difficult to say why neither tunnel comes up (when configured two different tunnels). At least one usergroup should be successful. Maybe we get more information if you send the output of

diag deb enable

diag deb appl ike -1

when trying to build up a connection by the vpn client.

To start negotiation with the right tunnel you need to configure different local IDs on both tunnels and the clients has to refer to them. Or you can use different proposals for phase 1 (this should work with v5.2.x).

Sylvia

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors