Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
systemgeek
New Contributor III

SDN Connectors for AWS

I have multiple accounts with a fortigate vm in each region we use and I want to keep all us-east-1 traffic in us-east-1 unless it needs to leave the region.  I have setup a SDN Connector for the VPC where the the fortigate is.  Via that connector I can see all the instances, SGs ... in that VPC.  But do I only need the one connector for AWS or do I need multiples?  And by multiples I mean do I need a Connector for the other VPC (even if they cross accounts) in this region?

1 Solution
systemgeek
New Contributor III

I talked to my Network Guy who is better versed in networking then I am and acutally learned a bit about SDN type networks in school.  That and my testing is telling me that you only need one SDN connector.  I tried to add a new connector for a different VPC in the same account as where the Fortigate was and it discovered nothing different then the default one.  I then tried one with a VPC of a different account in our AWS OU. Still the same things were returned.  

Everything I am seeing says that the SDN Connector can only see things in the VPC that the fortigate resides in.  Nothing else.  Therefor, there is no point in creating any more SDN Connectors.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Stephen_G

Hello systemgeek,

Thank you for using the Community Forum. I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Thanks

Stephen - Fortinet Community Team
Stephen_G

Hello,

We are still looking for someone to help you.

We will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

systemgeek
New Contributor III

I kinda think I found my own answer

Stephen_G

That's great news - I'm glad to hear it. If you wouldn't mind, could you share it here for the benefit of future users with similar queries?

systemgeek
New Contributor III

I talked to my Network Guy who is better versed in networking then I am and acutally learned a bit about SDN type networks in school.  That and my testing is telling me that you only need one SDN connector.  I tried to add a new connector for a different VPC in the same account as where the Fortigate was and it discovered nothing different then the default one.  I then tried one with a VPC of a different account in our AWS OU. Still the same things were returned.  

Everything I am seeing says that the SDN Connector can only see things in the VPC that the fortigate resides in.  Nothing else.  Therefor, there is no point in creating any more SDN Connectors.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors