Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cedsicuritalia
New Contributor

Routing between two different mpls and BGP - OS 5.0.7

Hi, i'd like a support, if possible. This is my situation:

- N fortigate in N different places.

- Every fortigate connected with two mpls of two differente carrier (wan1 and wan2)

- first one has bgp active on carrier side. With this bgp the carrier  delivers static routes between different lan in my network.

- Second is passive mpls, with different weight and static routes inserted by my side.

Problem:

* when active mpls has a disconnection problem in some second secondary carrier became active and my offices continue to be connected with a minimal ping lost.

* When first mpls returns active I must wait 3 minutes before carrier deliver all my routes through bgp.

I've serious problems when primary mpls starts to flicker with many up and down. In that situation secondary starts, then returns up primary with 3 min. waiting....and so for different times in a day or night, with a stall in network transmission.

Question:

Is there the possibility to manager routing when first mpls returns active? I mean, can I set some static routes (maybe with a ping active) to anticipate bgp and activate them instead of waiting carrier bgp ?

Thanks 

Gianluca

3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So you have a 3min convergence, from what I gather from your discription?

Why don't you run a dynamic protocol like bgp with the carrier #2 and adjust the  prefer path by adjustment of as_path? This is the main benefit of bgp and dual-homing? 

If your having a convergenc time, you will need to investigated this with your mpls provider and determine why 3mins.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
alderaan
New Contributor

Yes, it's correct. My problem is that our provider cannot change this parameter and we can't change provider, so i'm trying to find a workaroud to reduce this time. I'm thinking about setting some static routes and ping server to manage and force activation of some routes before restarting of bgp.

emnoc wrote:

So you have a 3min convergence, from what I gather from your discription?

Why don't you run a dynamic protocol like bgp with the carrier #2 and adjust the  prefer path by adjustment of as_path? This is the main benefit of bgp and dual-homing? 

If your having a convergenc time, you will need to investigated this with your mpls provider and determine why 3mins.

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So what are they running ? RIP?

I would have to see a map of the topology to get a better understanding. Also what do you mean by passive MPLS? I haven't let figure that one out.

Also if the provider is providing static routes to your LAN(s), he/she would need to do  some type of IP SLA and suppress the statics routes if you have locally problem. I believe one or both of them are probably redistrbuting these at the CErouter

When I used verizon and att mpls services, we injected our local_LANs v/BGP but ATT would not allow us to use our exitsing  BGP_ASN so we did a BGP ASN prefix with the local-as. We have convergence between  carriers down to like in 1secs or less ;)

I'm curious who is your  current mpls provider(s) are?

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors