Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ali426
New Contributor

Remote access vpn - ssl tunnel mode vs ipsec tunnel

What is the difference between Remote-access ipsec vpn vs ssl vpn (tunnel mode). as i understand ssl provide layer7 security with web mode, and l3 security with tunnel mode.

11 REPLIES 11
kennethblackman79

Bro SSL ideal in a few cases, i sort of has its specific uses, like when you only need portal setup, or when you want to offer limtied access or when you're being restricted from non-standard ports. 

EEHC
Contributor

Quote from https://www.onlc.com/blog/comparing-ipsec-vs-ssl-vpns/#:~:text=The%20main%20difference%20between%20I....

"The main difference between IPsec and SSL VPNs is the endpoints for each protocol. While an IPsec VPN allows users to connect remotely to an entire network and all its applications, SSL VPNs give users remote tunneling access to a specific system or application on the network. Choosing the right application comes down to a balance of convenience for the end-user and security for the organization. With SSL VPNs, if a bad actor gains control of the tunnel they have access to only the specific application or operating systems that the SSL is connected to. IPsec protocol, while secured with encryption as part of the TCP/IP suite, can give hackers full access to an entire corporate network if access is gained."

EEHC
EEHC
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors