Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FranFisc1
New Contributor II

Prevent usage of Microsoft bing chat

Hello FortiGuys,

here is a recommendation from Microsoft, how to do this technically:

Blocking adult content with SafeSearch or blocking Chat

Chat: 
---   If you want to guarantee Chat is turned off for all users on your network, in your router or proxy server map www.bing.com  to nochat.bing.com.

Any idea how to do that on a FortiGate ?

We are open to use Proxy-based policies, web filter, DNS Filter, or even try it with explicit proxy ....

I found that the safe-search part in the document linked abofe may be applied with the WebFilter,
but any idea how one would assure the second part described there:
chat-free searches through FortiGate ?

Found the "DNS-translation" feature, but this can only replace already resolved IPs by other fixed IPs confgured.
I cannot see it could replace a queried name by a configured CNAME before resolving it...

Thanks,

Frank

If configured correctly, it works. The reverse conclusion does not apply necessarily.
If configured correctly, it works. The reverse conclusion does not apply necessarily.
2 REPLIES 2
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello Frank

I think this should be done by CNAME on your internal DNS server.

AEK
AEK
FranFisc1
New Contributor II

Well..
if you let internal clients surfing resolve external names and use the transparent proxy feature,
this may be an approach.
This particular customer uses an explicit proxy design,
where all name resolution for WebTraffic is done by the proxy.

Because of security concerns, internal Clients can only resolve names from internal zones
but not from public / internet DNS zones ..
an quite old concept... but it still breaks attack chains where DNS plays a role, ie to connect to C&C servers or dowload additional attack code...

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors