Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Brady_R__Houser
New Contributor

Pantech 295 Wireless USB Modem Fortigate 60C

I hope this is the correct location for this post.

I have a Fortigate 60C running 5.2.2 and a Verizon Wireless USB 4G modem I'd like to get setup.  The model is a Pantech 295.  I see that 295 is supported on the FortiExtender but not listed as supported on the Fortigate devices.  I was hoping to get it working even if it wasn't an officially "supported" setup.  Does anyone know what the Vendor ID, Device ID and connection string should be?

6 REPLIES 6
ecsupport
New Contributor

Any luck with this? I'm in the same boat.... - brian

Toshi_Esumi

This combination has been "dead" for more than a year. We repeatedly asked them to get UML295 supported last year when we had problems with UML290, which was already discoed at that time. But they gave up due to technical issues with FortiGate software and the behavior/design difference of 295 from 290, and likely business-wise too, and decided to support it only with FEXTs.

Now even this UML295 is hard to find on the market. VZW announced to provide only SIM cards once they run out of stock.

ecsupport

Thanks for the update. Whats my best option then for a direct-attached USB modem for verizon LTE? I would prefer new enough to support XLTE (AWS Band 4) also. Or do i have to go to a FEXT to get a modern modem thats stable? the UML290 is not reliable at all...

Worst case i send $600 on a cradlepoint eth LTE modem but thats retarded given the existing fortis etc.

brian

Toshi_Esumi

Only option I know of other than FEXTs for VZW is FG60D-3G4G-VZW. It would take a mini-SIM card from VZW inside the box.

Brady_R__Houser

We did end up getting a 290 off of eBay it it seemed to work well.  In our area we only had 3G so we had to lock down the modem to 3G instead of 4G.  It worked well enough but we ditched it for a T1.  Every time it failed over we got a non-unique public IP and I wasn't able to get the IPSec VPN to work correctly.  Great for backup internet, bad for VPN capabilities.

Toshi_Esumi

That's why we've been getting "Static IP" service from VZW for all 290/295 and SIM to provide VPN services to our customers.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors